Spur Sensor Brake Pads Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Spur Sensor Brake Pads « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Larry
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 68.195.74.199
Posted on Sunday, 27 June, 2004 - 16:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Is the wire on the front pads (sensor pads) able to be placed on any pads that fit the car, or do you need the special pads (as there is a different part number for those pads)? They are much more than the regular pads.

Larry
tbird@consultant.com

Larry Halpert
Frequent User
Username: larry_halpert

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, 27 June, 2004 - 16:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I forgot to mention this is a 20,000 series, so the sensor pads were the same '87 1/2 - '90+

Here's a pic for those who like pics:
sensor & non sensor pads + part #'s

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 226
Posted on Thursday, 08 July, 2004 - 23:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Standard brake pads are CD6381, and will physically fit all cars from Silver Shadow chassis 14730 onwards. However, the wear indicator, as fitted to SZ 20,000 series cars onwards would not work. CD6589 pad sets have the wear indicator contacts imbedded in them for 20,000 series cars and cost roughly US$20 more for a set.

No, you cannot safely insert the wire into a pad which has none. They are inserted before the pads are bonded to their backing plates.

Larry Halpert
Frequent User
Username: larry_halpert

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, 17 September, 2004 - 08:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I see that the CD6589 sensor pads are of a newer design, hence the different part number. I found a pic. The high temp epoxy, and drilling a hole in a regular pad seems doable.

new style

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 356
Posted on Friday, 17 September, 2004 - 09:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Larry,

Seeing your pictures, I take it all back, and you are almost certainly correct as usual: with the right epoxy, and leads and plugs from a pair of used pads, it really seems that you could fit the sensors to two pre-20,000 pads (one for each front wheel) and save a bundle.

Pity. I replaced all my disc pads last week. Too late this time. Looking at my old pads downstairs just now I now see exactly what you mean.

The RH2349 cable and UD26393 connector finally explain the curious cable ties I have needed on my car over the years to keep everything in place.

Not shown on your diagram is that the anti-rattle springs were greatly improved at the same time as the wear-indicator change too.

Many thanks for clearing this up !

RT.