Fan Clutch, SZ and SY cars Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Fan Clutch, SZ and SY cars « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2524
Posted on Monday, 28 May, 2012 - 10:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Can someone enlighten me on fan clutches ?

I have fitted a new fan clutch to my Continental R, and it works annoyingly hard at moderate temperatures. It has settled down a little, but not enough, so I figure I may adjust the bimetallic coil spring a notch or two to raise the cut-in temperature. This is probably a clutch slightly poorly set upon assembly.

I cannot remember in which direction the bimetallic coils spring works: does it unwind or wind up as the temperature increases ? I guess I can test it with a heat gun, but if someone can jog my memory I would appreciate it. I have done this before on SYs and my SZ Turbo R, but just plain forget which way that I moved it.

Many thanks,

RT.

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User
Username: omar

Post Number: 251
Posted on Monday, 28 May, 2012 - 12:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Richard,
Well I never!!!
You learn something new every day. I never knew you could adjust fan clutches.
Omar

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2525
Posted on Monday, 28 May, 2012 - 14:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

Indeed they can be adjusted. On some cars, eg SY and early SZ, the coupling/clutch has two peg points (only one occupied) so the spring may be tightened or loosened by half turns. On my SZs there is only one fixing point so it can only be adjusted by a full turn at a time. At the moment, my new viscous coupling is more of a vicious coupling, but I am hoping that a full turn either way is not excessive to slow it a little until hot. Certainly, the two-peg types can be adjsuted with plenty of precision. I reset the spring on an SY last year as it was coming in too hot, but I just can't remember which way I shifted the spring.

Below is one similar to that of my SZ cars, although it is for a different vehicle.

RT.

Brian Vogel
Frequent User
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 70
Posted on Tuesday, 29 May, 2012 - 00:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

Perhaps this article will help? If I'm reading what the author says correctly, it seems that making the spring tighter will lower the engagement temperature and "unwinding" it a bit looser will raise the engagement temperature.

Brian