1982 Spirit head removal Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » 1982 Spirit head removal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 71
Posted on Wednesday, 18 April, 2012 - 08:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

After correcting the previous running problems with our Spirit, it has now developed an exhaust valve problem on one cylinder - zero compression and a compressed air leakdown test produces a blast of air from the exhaust,with the rocker shaft removed.Putting a straight edge accross the valve stem tops suggests that the valve may not be closing completely (approx 15thou difference in stem height).
Head removal looks straight forward, but are they prone to sticking like Cloud 1 and Bentley Mk6 ? Also are there any precautions required.I have tackled an alloy head on a Jag XK 6cyl engine but never a V8.
Any advice would be welcome.
Mark

Michael Hicks
Experienced User
Username: bentleyman22

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, 18 April, 2012 - 08:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Easy but should do the both and the vales

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 327
Posted on Thursday, 19 April, 2012 - 20:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I don't know if this model engine has wet liners although others would. If it is the case then head removal has to be done a little more carefully to ensure that the liners aren't moved even a fraction of an inch as that could disturb the top and/or bottom seals which might then need replacing.
I would suggest 'rolling' the head off the block by splitting them at the outer edge first so the liners stay where they're supposed to be.
Don't forget that even an alloy head, especially on a V8, can be surprisingly heavy so it's best to have some help at hand when lifting it off the block since you're working almost at full stretch.

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User

Post Number: 72
Posted on Friday, 20 April, 2012 - 18:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the advice. Jan, the engine is wet linered exactly as a Shadow; indeed the unit is a Shadow2 engine to all intents.
Mark

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User

Post Number: 73
Posted on Sunday, 29 April, 2012 - 07:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Help !
We have got the head loose on all but one stud, which is seized virtually solid. Have soaked in WD40, penetrating oil ,etc with no success. Have left it "hanging "on the engine crane tonight. Any suggestions greatfully accepted
Mark

Michael Hicks
Experienced User
Username: bentleyman22

Post Number: 36
Posted on Sunday, 29 April, 2012 - 07:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

i have the same problem with Jaguar Engine's just make shore you put something over the windscreen as i have known of cars when they have let go smash the windscreen
i just cut the stud and replace them all

Peter Talbot
Prolific User
Username: squerryes

Post Number: 110
Posted on Sunday, 29 April, 2012 - 08:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The head,block,and stud each have different expansion propeties so before you get drastic might I suggest:
1. Keep the stud cold with a bag of frozen peas
2. Warm up the rest by pouring firstly warm and then boiling water over the block.
3. Try again to free up the stud.
This is a simple pragmatic approach and can do no harm.
Peter

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 333
Posted on Sunday, 29 April, 2012 - 21:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Once again this is a scenario which could respond well to the careful application of violence. A few well aimed vertical blows with a heavy instrument to the bolt head might well break the stiction of the corrosion at the bolt threads making it so much easier to wind out. As long as you don't miss the bolt head and damage anything nearby it can't really cause any other harm.

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User

Post Number: 74
Posted on Monday, 30 April, 2012 - 07:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Head is now off after 6 hours of rocking,vibrating the stud with a ground off air chisel, heat gun,freezer spray ,boiling water and VIAKAL limescale remover which very effectively dissolved the accumulated corrosion carbon and crud!
Fortunately head block and pistons are undamaged, but the exhaust valves are heavily white deposited and one has a piece approx 1/4 inch square missing hence no compression.
Rebuild probably next weekend.
Mark