Steering rack....non leak related Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Steering rack....non leak related « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Daniel Diewerge
Experienced User
Username: didi13109

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, 12 March, 2012 - 23:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello, I rebuild the entire front suspension on my 1985 Bentley 8. I replaced all the rubber bushings and both lower ball joints (they were badly rust pitted) and exchanged the stabilizer bar links for Turbo R items. To my suprise, the knocking sound that lead me to rebuild the suspension is still there. In another thread on supension knocking on this forum I found the posting of Stefan Morley who had a knocking sound comming from the steering rack's pillow block. I checked on my car and the pillow block itself doesn't move in relation to the centre tube but the whole tube can turn a few millimeters up and down. Jacking up both front wheels and turning back and forth one wheel produced excactly the knocking sound that is driving me nuts while the centre tube turns up and down. To my surprise the very low mileage (35.000 km) spare rack that I had on the shelve also permits a certain rotation of the centre tube. Are both racks defective? Thank you! Cheers Daniel