Alternator rebuild kit Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Alternator rebuild kit « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 65
Posted on Friday, 24 February, 2012 - 06:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Can anyone identify the model and manufacturers code for a Delco Remy alternator as fitted to my 1987 Bentley 8 ( chassis 22684). The alternator charges OK but the bearings are noisy and a brush change may be worthwhile.
Thanks Mark

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1072
Posted on Friday, 24 February, 2012 - 07:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark,

Just dismantle the alternator and remove the consumable parts. The bearings will have a code stamped on them which will allow a bearing supplier to match them. Take the brushes to any auto electrician and they will be able to match them with new brushes - the brushes do not carry a lot of current and usually have a long life.

Does your alternator have an integral regulator? If so, it is good practice to replace this as well as these can give trouble as they age. I would be very surprised if it has an external regulator.

If all else fails, just remove the alternator and take it to an auto electrician for overhaul. A full rebuild here usually costs less than AUD250 provided you do not use the "R-R" or "B" words.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2477
Posted on Sunday, 26 February, 2012 - 11:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Your alternator is a Delco CS144 unit. Note that is of the early CS144 type, although they all bolt on to these cars.

Parts are available anywhere and are cheap as chips, cheapest on the internet from the USA. You need bearings, a diode bridge and regulator as a minimum.

Having said that, I simply trashed mine last year when I suspected a fault. A brands new one in the box cost me just A$210 from Baxters in Sydney, so it really isn't worth the effort to tinker with the old used one to save maybe $10 and end up with an old but working alternator. Not that it matters, the new one is rated at 140A, up from your 108A unit. Also, the later CS144 units have improved bearings and diode bridges. No doubt the auto electrical distributors in the UK will have CS144s on their shelves too.

RT.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 2478
Posted on Sunday, 26 February, 2012 - 11:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The lists in this file may be of assistance by the way.
application/pdf
DelcoAlternatorParts.pdf (636.0 k)

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 2479
Posted on Sunday, 26 February, 2012 - 14:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Fits SZ cars chassis 20,000 onwards (MY1987+).

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 311
Posted on Sunday, 26 February, 2012 - 21:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Surely you mean chassis numbers from 30,000.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 2480
Posted on Monday, 27 February, 2012 - 03:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

20,000. 1987 Model Year.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 312
Posted on Monday, 27 February, 2012 - 20:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Oops! My mistook. I was thinking of the Shadow II's.

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, 28 February, 2012 - 04:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Richard ,the info and part no's were useful. I have located a new unit in the UK for £120 +vat .As you say its not worth rebuilding the old one,especially if you say Bentley to the reconditioners !
Mark

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 2481
Posted on Tuesday, 28 February, 2012 - 09:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark,

Depending on the exact unit you buy, you may need to swap the pulley. It will fit 1:1. Most alternators are delivered with a serpentine pulley these days. Also, the power lead lug on the car may need to have its hole diameter increased slightly using a drill bit. Both trivial exercises are best done with the alternator removed. Also, loosen the power steering reservoir and push it rearwards during R/R.

RT.