Spares sourcing. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Spares sourcing. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roderick Waite
New User
Username: rodwaite

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, 04 February, 2012 - 20:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good morning all, this may have cropped up before, but I didn't find it ... I've been a bit horrified at the price of spares from the usual suppliers, and having just saved nearly £150 (A$220) on SU service kits by going to Burlen, it may apply to other items. I now need some of the little rubber hoses that abound around the weakener system on '84 Spirits, but have been quoted anything between £1.50 to £4.50 per INCH (depending which hose). I imagine it's a pretty standard type of hose - but who makes it? Would it not be possible to buy a length of it without needing a second mortgage? It would be nice to have a spare length in case of future need as well.

Thanks

Rod

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1063
Posted on Saturday, 04 February, 2012 - 21:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Rod,

Repco carry a good range of imperial and metric vacuum and fuel system bulk hose in a range of sizes - I would take samples of the hoses to Repco and get them to find the appropriate replacement for you. They sell it off the roll in whatever length you want and it is [strictly was as I still have spare stock and haven't had to buy any in recent years] reasonably priced by the metre.

Onward ever onward as you take the journey of discovery that every DIY R-R/B owner has taken before you. It is not as bad as you fear but you do have to be patient at times.

Stefan Morley
Grand Master
Username: myupctoys

Post Number: 336
Posted on Saturday, 04 February, 2012 - 22:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Rod,

If you end up struggling try these guys. Assuming your in Oz.
http://www.fitchtherubberman.com.au/
Bit of an institution around Adelaide. There wouldn't be a car enthusiast in SA that doesn't know theses guys. Most of the staff are car tragics to boot.

Cheers
Stefan

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 63
Posted on Sunday, 05 February, 2012 - 06:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rod, someones having a laugh !!! I bought 6 metres of fuel/oil hose to repipe the Spirit for under £30 from Pirtec in the UK. They will also make brake pipes ,power steering hoses etc.
Mark

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2476
Posted on Sunday, 05 February, 2012 - 18:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You will find Crewe prices very reasonable for bespoke items. However, little pieces of generic hose do not sell at all, so expect silly prices for them.

Likewise, for we Downunder, Midel in Sydney do SU spares. Their prices are rather low I may add: he who buys SU parts from Crewe pays the $ and takes the chances....

RT.

Roderick Waite
New User
Username: rodwaite

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, 06 February, 2012 - 00:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks to David and Stefan, Mark and Richard ... my problem is that I live in France, so England is my best bet for delivery cost, and I have located suitable 8mm bore hose from Pirtek, as Mark said! It certainly pays to do a bit of shopping around, but I always worry a bit in case it's not up to the job. All the hoses I've looked at are for a variety of uses - except vacuum! Common sense tells me proper rubber (or silicone rubber?) will stand up to quite low vacuum depressions - won't they? I'll soon be finding out ...

Rod

Mark Aldridge
Frequent User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 64
Posted on Monday, 06 February, 2012 - 05:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Rod, they have behaved ok on our cars for engine functions, but I would only use correct Vac hose on brake servos on non crewe cars. The hose pirtec supplied is EN854 100R6, which I have used for fuel,oil,low pressure mineral oil brake returns, cooling system and vacuum ! It hasn't collapsed yet, but no guarantees.
Mark
Mark