In-Car Telephones - Do they Still work? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » In-Car Telephones - Do they Still work? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User
Username: omar

Post Number: 224
Posted on Saturday, 21 January, 2012 - 21:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My 97 Conteinetal R has a factory fitted phone installed. Can I make the phone work using modern day GSM systems? There are in-built microphones speakers etc which would be a shame to simply delete.
Thanks
Omar

Michael Hicks
Experienced User
Username: bentleyman22

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, 21 January, 2012 - 21:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi My 1997 Turbo RT has a Factory fitted GSM and i have put a o2 sim card in it (in the Boot) and it works fine
I divert my contract phone to it the only thing is it does not tell you the person calling
i think you can put your proper sim in the holder in the car but it still has to have the one in the boot

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User

Post Number: 225
Posted on Sunday, 22 January, 2012 - 04:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for that Michael. My car is a USA spec car and therefore may be different. Where does the sim card go in the boot unit in your car?
thanks
Omar

Michael Hicks
Experienced User

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, 22 January, 2012 - 05:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

it is behind the panel in the boot where the tools are
i have the 2 poppers at the top and then there are 2 black clips by the umbrella
but i don't know if it is the same on your car

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User

Post Number: 228
Posted on Tuesday, 07 February, 2012 - 05:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Michael.
On my car, there is a black rectangular long aluminium box that slides into a rail and then has a key to lock it in place. This box has a multipin connector at the end which is held on by two screws (similar to computer connections on a PC. There is no place for a sim card in this box.

You mention umbrellas!!!
Both my Bentleys have no umbrellas in them. One is a Japanese spec car and the other is a USA spec car. Is this umbrella thing a UK fitting of should all our cars have them? Hardly makes any difference to me here in rainless Dubai - but was wondering.

Michael Hicks
Experienced User

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, 07 February, 2012 - 05:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

will ask a Friend about the Umbrellas
will take a photo of my phone tomorrow
and send it to you

Brian Crump
Prolific User
Username: brian_crump

Post Number: 104
Posted on Tuesday, 07 February, 2012 - 20:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar, in Australia at least, umbrellas were an option and many cars do not have them. Your build sheets will list the options applicable to your cars.
Regards,
Brian

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User

Post Number: 229
Posted on Wednesday, 08 February, 2012 - 03:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Brian - but where would they go? There does not seem to be a slot made for them in my cars.
Thanks
Omar

Brian Crump
Prolific User
Username: brian_crump

Post Number: 105
Posted on Wednesday, 08 February, 2012 - 16:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Most installations are clips to the underside of the boot lid. I have seen some clipped to the rear vertical panel in the boot.
Regards,
Brian

Neville Davies
Experienced User
Username: nev_davies

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, 09 February, 2012 - 02:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My Bentley Brooklands has 2 motorola phones and a main unit situated by the fuel tank.Whilst it comes on and recognises a Vodafone sim card that I fitted it will not unlock or at least allow access to the menu.My next hope is to contact previous owner and find out the card that should be in there and if he had a special code unless a phone wizard can advise me otherwise
Nev

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1067
Posted on Thursday, 09 February, 2012 - 08:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Neville,

Your problem might be the car transmitter not being suitable for the current networks depending on the age of the unit - the current mobile service is 3G with 4G starting to be rolled out in the capital cities. As far as I am aware, the older mobile phones were a single band unit whereas the current networks use 3 different bands and current phones switch bands automatically depending what bands are accesssible in the local area.

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 307
Posted on Thursday, 09 February, 2012 - 21:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I don't think that frequency switching works outside each of the 4 bands. I know these bands were originally used in different countries making the use of the 'wrong' phone outside its original market area almost impossible. By 2002 I was able to make calls with my UK bought mobile phone while on holiday in the US and each of several EU countries. That phone was one of the earliest 3G phones available back then.

One odd thing I and a few friends have noticed is that while a few miles out from Zeebrugge harbour (Belgium) we get a text message welcoming us to "The United States of America" with a list of call, text and data prices. Hunh???

Neville Davies
Experienced User

Post Number: 37
Posted on Friday, 10 February, 2012 - 00:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,
The phones are motorola GSM type which are apparently digital I don't know which g it is.The phone asks for a card to be fitted and when fitted (the unit is located in the boot by the cd stack)the phone then asks for a unlock code.I have tried the standard codes and various sim cards without success.I guess I need to keep trying to locate the previous owner.

Nev

David Gore

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Friday, 10 February, 2012 - 08:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Neville,

Do you have the build sheets for your car? If so, you will find details of the dealer who delivered the car to the owner who may still have the records which would include the relevant codes. Otherwise, a visit to Hunt House might be in order to get this information.

Neville Davies
Experienced User

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, 10 February, 2012 - 18:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David
No I don't have the build sheets but they would be nice to have regardless.I will ring the club today and order them.In the mean time I'll carry on looking for the previous owner who's name and location I now know and also look for a T/P guru who could remove the unlock code.

Nev

Neville Davies
Experienced User

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, 16 February, 2012 - 23:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well have now got the build sheets but unfortunatly no info on the phone.I've managed to speak with the previous owner who never used it.Motorola can't help other than refer me to their repair depot who don't/can't help.It appears I need to find someone who is able to "flash" the handsets.In this modern technological world very frustrating,however the big hammer will remain in the box for a little longer.
Nev

David Gore

Post Number: 1069
Posted on Friday, 17 February, 2012 - 06:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Neville,

Did you contact the dealer who took delivery of the car from Crewe?

I would expect their records to contain all relevant information about the car including radio and phone codes for future use when needed.

The build sheets make interesting reading especially the amount of rework that usually is recorded for the car.

Neville Davies
Experienced User

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, 17 February, 2012 - 18:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Success! David from the sheets the phone was fitted and tested at factory but no details supplied.After yesterday's post I located a Web site in the US. which had a similar but later phone instruction book which gave the code as 3 digits +# and after some more fiddling the hand sets unlocked and recognized the vodafone sim card.They both then dialled out ok.Makes you accept how much change has taken place as none of the shops and few of the repair sites realized these units existed.Thanks for all advice.

Nev

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 376
Posted on Wednesday, 21 October, 2015 - 07:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all I have a 1997 Turbo R it has had two phones fitted in the past one in front and one in the rear it has an aerial fitted on the roof front alas no phones I would like to restore this feature to a working unit but I would need some help from the forum as to suitable phones there is a place in the front lidded box for the phone card not in the boot as mentioned in the thread above. All assistance and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 1711
Posted on Wednesday, 21 October, 2015 - 08:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

I think, but I can't swear to it, that the mobile phones circa 1997 were still analog and, if that's correct, they cannot be made to function on any current network that I know of.

If you know the make and model of the phones you can probably do a lookup using that information to see if they're viable anywhere.

Brian

Neville Davies
Frequent User

Post Number: 59
Posted on Wednesday, 21 October, 2015 - 16:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard.Brian. My Brooklands has original Motorola phones.They connect to O2 and Vodafone and work fine in the UK.The text system is somewhat dated but that also works.The handsets are in the armrests and the receiver in the boot behind the fuel tank panel
Nev

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 377
Posted on Wednesday, 21 October, 2015 - 16:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you for your replies Brian and Neville. It would be useful if I knew the model number and any information related to how to set it up etc. I was hoping that Neville could supply most of what I need to proceed thank you again.

Richard.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 378
Posted on Wednesday, 21 October, 2015 - 23:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have found two phones at flying spares they are sending them today one has a crack in the screen but at least its a start and you never know whats about until you ask so I am still open to advice or suggestions thank you.

Richard.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 380
Posted on Saturday, 24 October, 2015 - 08:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi phones arrived today they are not a pair, One is made in USA and one in the United Kingdom they are both Motorola I don't think they will do anything other than be an ornament sitting on the cradle if I knew a bit more information I might be able to look for the proper ones thank you.

Christian S. Hansen
Frequent User
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 73
Posted on Saturday, 24 October, 2015 - 12:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here's a suggestion that may only serve to again highlight my naivete...but here goes...since a lot/many cars now-a-days rely on an internet connection for the various gizmos, and since home style "voice over internet" connected phones can use a standard cradle phone (correct?), would it be possible to use the cradle/handset portion of the older analog cell phone only, disconnect the old cellular transmitter portion, and somehow connect it via VOIP to make calls? Basically install a VOIP phone into the car utilizing the old cellular handset and cradle. What say the techies? Doable?

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 1717
Posted on Saturday, 24 October, 2015 - 13:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christian,

Virtually anything is "doable" if you are willing to spend enough time, money, or both.

I honestly fail to see why anyone really cares whether or not the original handsets actually work. They're a lot more cumbersome to deal with than the vast majority of telephone technology available today. Most cell phones can easily be stored in the same area as the original handsets without modifying them at all. The fact is that early mobile phone technology and early cellular phone technologies are really and truly dead.

In order to use the VOIP option you describe you would have to retrofit the actual mobile internet device (which could be done pretty easily in and of itself). The real work would be coming up with the new electronic "guts" for the old phones to make them VOIP devices.

To use the folksy phrase my dear, departed Aunt Lila did with regard to a mismatch between past and present technology (but well before electronics): That's about as useful as a whip socket on a motorcycle.

Brian

Christian S. Hansen
Frequent User
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 74
Posted on Saturday, 24 October, 2015 - 20:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I was just thinking out loud. Last time I had a vacation, seems to me the phone I used at the "hunting chalet", which I only hook up for the duration, was a standard old fashioned push button type, with full size handset, having one of those curly long cables, like the old "Princess Phones". It had previously been simply plugged into the land-line wall plug, but last visit I got wireless Internet service and that phone (as I recall) simply plugged into the modem and worked fine.

What I was envisioning, simply because the question was asked, was that the handset and cradle (which are in the center console armrests and as noted completely useless as is except ornamentally) could simply be plugged into a wireless modem placed somewhere else (boot or under seat?) and then perhaps you would basically have an "obsolete handset", inconvenient as it might be, but functional. Can't see how that would be vastly complicated or expensive and would give new life to what was previously a decorative telephone conversation piece.

Oh, and please disregard any idea that I am necessarily "practical". Otherwise I would not enjoy the EPW Dawn or Cloud without modern "amemities", let alone an obsolete hand held phone! Someone has to keep up the local reputation as being "that eccentric aging fellow who drives around town in an antique Rolls-Royce"!!

Topical joke: Two young lovelies discussing their worst blind dates. One recalls a date picking her up in an antique Rolls-Royce. "Ooohh" coos her friend, "He must have been rich!" "Perhaps" sighs the first cutie, "but he was also the original owner!"

Back to you...

ab
New User
Username: alfbast

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, 24 October, 2015 - 21:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi. I had a silver spur 1997 American specifications. I used the phone with an Italian sim on a GSM network in Europe. It worked fine.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 1718
Posted on Saturday, 24 October, 2015 - 23:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christian,

Truly, I get that you were thinking out loud and having had a long history in telecomm I was responding to those thoughts.

Landlines and mobile phones have pretty much nothing in common technology wise other than the functions they perform. I know that you have used contemporary mobile phones and they are entirely self-contained as far as their transponders everything else goes. For the automotive version the only thing that "plugs in" in any meaningful sense is the power and the antenna (where applicable). Cellular communications and VOIP are as different as night and day, too. If one wanted to have an old mobile phone "go VOIP" you'd essentially have to gut the thing and put in almost entirely new internals. It would be vastly complicated and expensive to do something like this, all the more so because so few people want to do it.

What you're proposing is a lot more akin to trying to remake an old color analog console television set over such that it kept its case, screen, and control configurations but would now have all the internals necessary to function as a digital TV does.

Brian, who apparently has his dates wrong as far as when certain cellular/mobile technologies came in/went out based on several comments regarding SIM swaps in late 1990s vintage car phones

Jan Forrest
Grand Master
Username: got_one

Post Number: 863
Posted on Sunday, 25 October, 2015 - 02:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons: My first mobile/cellular phone was a Motorolla (?) car phone in the mid 80's. Although a car phone it could be removed from the car to give a little more mobility.
The advantage was less than you might think as the battery would only last 2 hours on standby and give no more than 20 minutes of talk time.
The real advantages came when back in the car and connected. Standby and talk time were virtually unlimited and the booster amp in the boot made it possible to stray several, maybe even tens of, miles from the nearest cell tower.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 491
Posted on Sunday, 25 October, 2015 - 04:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Ab,
I am most intrigued that your American spec car phone worked in Europe with a European sim card.
I have a 96 American spec car - where does the sim card go? can you show me please?
thanks
Omar

Neville Davies
Frequent User

Post Number: 61
Posted on Sunday, 25 October, 2015 - 22:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard. The phones I have in mine are Motorola 2200 and when I was trying to get these to work I had a Motorola 2700 which was similar but a later model when I finally succeeded all 3 worked but as the 2200 were like new I kept them.Did you find a receiver behind the panel which encloses the petrol tank?It seems to be common on cars at least up to 97.i will try to take some photos in the next day or so.

Nev

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 381
Posted on Tuesday, 27 October, 2015 - 04:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Neville the phones I got wont even sit in the cradle they must have been in an earlier car I can send them back to Flying Spares I haven't had a chance to look for the receiver yet the thing that bugs me a bit is that the previous owner or someone in between took the phones out of the car thank you for the information about the model numbers I will see if I can find something maybe Paul Yorke might know something about sourcing such a thing looking forward to seeing the photos.

Richard.

Neville Davies
Frequent User

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, 27 October, 2015 - 17:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard. The phones that are fitted in mine are 20cms long and 5cms wide with a slight curve.The curve is such that the outer part has the screen and dial.The screen is approx. 4cms x 2cms and the button area 4cms x 8cms The mounting for the phone is the speaker part of the body on the inner side and is approx. 6 cms long.These phones were also used by Ford and made in Germany.

Nev

Neville Davies
Frequent User

Post Number: 63
Posted on Tuesday, 27 October, 2015 - 18:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard
photo

This is the phone

Nev

Neville Davies
Frequent User

Post Number: 64
Posted on Tuesday, 27 October, 2015 - 18:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard
photo

This is the receiver in the boot.I hope this helps.

Nev

Neville Davies
Frequent User

Post Number: 65
Posted on Tuesday, 27 October, 2015 - 18:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard.
photo

And the one in the back just for fun

Nev

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 382
Posted on Tuesday, 27 October, 2015 - 19:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Neville thanks a lot the photos are great. I will keep looking for the correct model and hopefully get them to work the ones in your car definitely look the bees knees everyone will want them in their car.

Richard.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 383
Posted on Wednesday, 28 October, 2015 - 21:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Neville I found the receiver in the boot at least that end is sorted only have to find the handsets and the sim cards will post if I get any more info.

Richard.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 385
Posted on Saturday, 31 October, 2015 - 08:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi I bough a Motorola 2700 today in England should be here Tuesday. I seen another one for sale from Russia but I think I will give it a miss Too much postage and customs etc.

Richard.

Neville Davies
Frequent User

Post Number: 66
Posted on Saturday, 31 October, 2015 - 17:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard. Well done, these phones seem very thin on the ground. If you haven't got one yet the sim card needs the carrier they are sometimes available in. Perhaps the old one is still in the receiver?

Nev

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 386
Posted on Sunday, 01 November, 2015 - 23:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi I bought the other phone today from Russia the sellers name is Anna I hope the phone will be sent from Russia with Love (In my dreams) LoL

Richard.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 387
Posted on Tuesday, 03 November, 2015 - 05:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi my phone from London arrived today it is in very good condition it came out of an XJ6 Executive 1994 the sellers name is James Boand and his company is www.newmiltonautoparts .co.uk he seems to do a lot of Jaguar parts The other one will take longer to come will keep you informed.

Richard.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 396
Posted on Friday, 20 November, 2015 - 09:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi I now have enough phones plus one extra I have two receivers plus extra wiring looms not that I need any but as this stuff is so hard to get whatever I don't need might help someone else anyway I will keep you posted about any developments.

Richard.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 399
Posted on Friday, 27 November, 2015 - 09:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Success I have now got the rear phone to work the font one tries to switch on but wont although both phones will switch on in the back witch points to a loose or a dirty connection.
I would like to thank you all for your help in finding a solution I rang the number this evening and was pleased when I heard the phone ring in the car.

Richard.

David Towers
Experienced User
Username: xtriple

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, 08 January, 2016 - 01:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Interesting topic. My Brooklands 'R' has two phones in the armrests and all the gubbins are also in there. Mine powers up and asks for a sim card and I am tempted to get them working...
But, using a hand held phone in the UK is illegal now and as I am very unpopular, no one ever rings me anyway!

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 377
Posted on Friday, 08 January, 2016 - 06:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My Camargue has a fantastic large phone in it? What shall I do with it. It's a brute. It would have looked supercool in the late 1970s but even if it worked now you could not use it unless stopped on a non public road. I am guessing the police would charge you if they saw you parked speaking into it as they will charge you for drink driving even if you are asleep in your car and they have to wake you up but..............

Being a man of humour and totally anti establishment I was wondering if a hoot would be to feign use of the phone, and then defend it at court saying it was actually a MICROPHONE and that I was dictating a letter to Anarchists International or singing Anarchy in the UK into it. One could possibly make a killing this way in getting costs awarded against the state. Well it it would be a hoot anyway but...........

Does anybody have any suggestion as to what I should really do with this phone now that even the kiddies are using phones without cords, with porn and at about one tenth the size of this in-car dinosaur?

David Gore

Post Number: 1885
Posted on Friday, 08 January, 2016 - 08:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir,

I would keep the phone in the car as it is consistent with the age of the car and represents an era which has passed and largely beyond the comprehension of the youth of today.

It is almost certain to increase in value as collectors of technology begin to chase items from the 1980's especially car phones which were relatively rare and expensive at the time.

I am now of an age when the "junk" we threw away in our youth is now valued by collectors and priced accordingly. The wisdom of hindsight brings many regrets..........

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 379
Posted on Friday, 08 January, 2016 - 10:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good idea David, I had not even contemplated that. Hindsight is a killer when one contemplates it was possible for $50 in the early seventies to by a common old XK Falcon unregistered. All one had to do is stay away from females and booze and go west into the country where land was worthless and buy a few acres and splatter them with old Falcons, Holdens and Valiants and there you have it a million dollar retirement plan. Had you of stated that then people would have known you were a couple of bottles short of a six pack.

I can still remember looking at the grill in a brand new Holden in 1968 and thinking how poor is that that the grill is made out of plastic and having absolutely no idea just how cheap and nasty car manufacturers were to descend to. I would not have believed it even if the tooth fairy spoke to me.

That aside that's why I think even scrap Shadows full of rust are worth grabbing if you have the loot and the price is right and a place to store them.

I would say the very day car manufacturers work out how to get us to buy a car with the quality of a brown paper bag you will see them on the market.

I walked past a Toyota Dealer on the coast a few days ago and I didn't stop to look as I didn't want to be accosted by a salesmen and have to insult his product by asking him which tropical insect it was modelled after !

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 516
Posted on Friday, 08 January, 2016 - 17:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Vlad,
I bought a Toyota Celica of 1972 - vintage just to play with and have a laugh. I remember these cars being jokes in the 70s and 80s. Only people who couldnt afford proper cars would buy them. Now this thing is worth more than my Turbo R and everyone and his dog wants to buy it off me.
strange....

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 427
Posted on Saturday, 09 January, 2016 - 10:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Omar seeing as you started this thread back in 2012 did you ever get your phones to work.

Just wondering.

Richard.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 517
Posted on Saturday, 09 January, 2016 - 16:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

hahahaha no Richard I didnt.
I realised mine is an American system that does not cater for a sim card.
My loss eh?

Thanks or asking.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: