SILVER SPUR 11 - HOOD LIGHT SWITCH ISSUE Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » SILVER SPUR 11 - HOOD LIGHT SWITCH ISSUE « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nigel Blackmore
New User
Username: chester9

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, 08 January, 2012 - 21:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am having trouble with the hood light switch not working. I am asking if anyone has or had this issue and if the switch can be repaired?
Someone has suggested spraying the switch with contact cleaner several times.
I wanted to see if it can be taken apart and cleaned and if anyone has done this? Any info would help other than buy a new switch some place.

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1331
Posted on Monday, 09 January, 2012 - 09:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nigel/ These are a pain in the butt. They are a relatively delicate plastic bodied switch which is not cheap, quite unique, a bugger to fit and prone to not working. Apart from that they are a great idea. Personally they are in my opinion simply a gimmick. The power of the light is sufficient to establish that the engine is indeed still there on a dark night. I give friends small a very bright torch to hide in the recess behind the suspension towers. The switch can be removed and dismantled.

Jan Forrest
Prolific User
Username: got_one

Post Number: 299
Posted on Monday, 09 January, 2012 - 21:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mine has only worked occasionally since I bought The Old Girl. Even so the light level is as pathetic as Bill says. I've often considered adding a different switch - say a magnetic or reed relay type - and then replacing the silly little bulb with an array of LEDs. However no matter how bright a new light may be it will still only shine in one direction and Murphy's Law dictates that the component you want to look at will be in the shadows anyway.

A torch (flashlight for our transatlantic cousins) would be far better and an LED 'wand' better yet.

James Feller
Prolific User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 175
Posted on Thursday, 19 January, 2012 - 10:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Nigel,

Its been said enough but cannot resist saying again. Sometimes when I haven't driven my cars for a while and I go to do period checks under the bonnet and the light doesn't come on I reach down and flick the push in button thingame or occasionally I spray the little contact components down near the hood hinge with WD40 and the light comes to life.
However as all have previously said the output is so minimal and ridiculous all it establishes in truth is that the engine is indeed still in situ.
Get a good torch and carry it in the glove box or boot and dont worry too much about that silly light.
Cheers

James Feller
Prolific User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 176
Posted on Thursday, 19 January, 2012 - 11:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

further to this, I find it incongruous then that when you open a door no less that 18 lights come on!!! certainly enough light to have a good dinner party by....why the hell Crewe put that pathetic underbonnet light in there is anyones guess and futher more its not even aimed DOWN into the engine bay anyway!!!