Mixture control error message Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Mixture control error message « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Udo Hoffmüller
Frequent User
Username: udo

Post Number: 85
Posted on Friday, 06 January, 2012 - 21:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The engineECU of my TurboRL gives me the repeated error message "mixture control lean". I checked what the EHA is doing and found that it works fine from cold start, i.e. 35 mA or so at the beginning, then 15 mA and dropping down stepwise to nearly 0 mA where it should stay - but from there it goes up slowly to between 8 and 12 mA and keeps flickering around from 8 to 12 all the time once the engine has warmed up. The error message is produced every time the limit of 10 mA is exceeded.

My first question: What does it mean really "mixture control lean"? The description in the workshop manual is not clear for me. Does it mean that the mixture is too lean and therefore richened by the engineECU via the EHA? Or does it mean that the mixture is too reach and therefore weakened by the engineECU via the EHA? I guess the first will be right, but I am unsure.

Second question: If the mixture is too lean and therefore richened via the EHA - is that because the lambda sonde detects too much oxygen in the exhaust gases? I guess it is, but would be happy to see me confirmed.

Please, at this moment I do not yet want to discuss the reasons for the error message. The CO is perfect, the car just passed the spanish TÜV/MOT (i.e. ITV) with 0 % CO at high idle and 0,01 % CO at normal idle. The EHA is correcting the failure perfectly. What I want for the moment is: to be sure that I do understand correct the error message and the way it is produced, not why it is produced (will be the next step). Even the german translation of this error message on all Bosch KE-Jetronics does not help.

Can you help? Best regards - Udo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Michael Hicks
New User
Username: bentleyman22

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, 07 January, 2012 - 05:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

it is suggesting the engine is running lean
and i say Suggesting could be any thing or nothing