Spirit ignition system Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Spirit ignition system « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roderick Waite
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 86.221.37.169
Posted on Tuesday, 20 December, 2011 - 00:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello all - in relation to another topic I am replacing the ignition coil of my 1984 Spirit (ECH 09680)and have run into a difficulty.

The car is RHD, and the coil is mounted adjacent to the distributor on the engine oil filler side. The one I'm taking off had the negative terminal near me, the positive nearest the distributor. The new one is the opposite, so I have loosened the clamp and turned it 180* so that it is orientated the same as the old one. Any quarrels with that?

Anyone who has done this will know of the difficulty in getting at the fixing bolts. The new coil very sensibly has mounting slots, but the old one had holes, so it was necessary to completely remove the mounting bolts. In the process something fell off, which turned out to be a capacitor mounted underneath the mounting bolt on my side. But the wire from the capacitor was not connected to anything - it had no terminal, a black wire about 3" long. Can anyone tell me where this should have been connected to, please?

Thanks

Rod

(Message approved by david_gore)

Chris Browne
Frequent User
Username: chrisb

Post Number: 68
Posted on Tuesday, 20 December, 2011 - 20:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Rod,

There should be a two way connector on the positive terminal of the coil. The black 3" wire should connect the capacitor to the positive terminal of the coil with a lucar push on connector. On my car, a Shadow 2, the capacitor is mounted on a bolt at the base of the distributor, not on the coil fixing bolt. Can't imagine that this makes much difference though.
Hope this helps,

Kind regards and a Happy Xmas,

Chris Browne

Roderick Waite
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 81.50.111.140
Posted on Wednesday, 21 December, 2011 - 05:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Chris, that's settled it in my mind. I've checked again, and there's no 'other' capacitor mounted on the distributor. Rooting about while the coil is off, I've found a connector block with a yellow wire going in from the +ve terminal of the coil, but nothing coming out, and the lucas push-on connector still in there. So that must be where the wire from the capacitor has broken off. With luck, I'll be able to repair that - the connectors don't seem to be soldered, relying on being crimped so far as I can see.

A little progress, thank you, and may I reciprocate your good wishes! A very Happy Xmas to you and yours ...

Rod

(Message approved by david_gore)