Heating Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Heating « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Riches
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 144.139.13.58
Posted on Saturday, 29 May, 2004 - 06:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

At the risk of being a pest I have another query re. this 1981 Bentley. The exterior temp. display shows always between +34 and +36 degrees in any weather. Clearly it is wrong. However the heater does not work either. Are these two related? Does the sensor provide info for the heating controls?
Many thanks.

whunter
Prolific User
Username: whunter

Post Number: 97
Posted on Friday, 26 November, 2004 - 05:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I presume it is reading +34C - +36C.
In that case, yes, the computer is being told it is far too hot to allow the heater any function.

Ian Leonard
Yet to post message
Username: ian_leonard

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, 23 September, 2005 - 16:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Chris and whunter,
I am new to the forum, own a 1990 Bentley Turbo RL, my exterior temp has always read too high. Shall stick my neck and and tell you my experience. Posing the question to my mechanic, (is the ext. temp gauge related to the heating /cooling sensors?), he said they are not related.

Then he preceeded to show me where the sensors inside and outside the car are for the heating/airconditioning, also said the gauge was more of a gimic than an accurate measure. He been involved with RR/B for yonks and managed York Motors service at one time so he knows what he is talking about.

Also in for services were a Spirit and a Spur, their ext. temp gauges read the same as my Bentley's gauge, which was about 6-7oC too high. Noticed other Bentleys I have been in have the same problem. Realise this is not am important topic, would be nice if the gauge was accurate though.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 896
Posted on Friday, 23 September, 2005 - 18:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Your temperature gauge is probably correct.

If you are crawling around in traffic at 60 or so, the local air is heated by your very own motor and radiator. Even at speed in traffic, the temperature around your car is raised by yours and other vehicles. Don't be surprised to see a true 40C indicated at the lights when the pedestrians are wearing thick coats: that's how hot it really is under the front bumper. Only at over 80 km/h with little traffic will the ambient at the front of the car be the about the same as in the parkland 100m away. This is not a R-R/B thing: my other cars show the same on their computers too. At 7am today, the prognosis was 0C here: the gauge read 0C and the ice lamp was lit.

Go in the morning to your car with a thermometer before you fire up the motor. No doubt your trusty VDO temperature measurement system on the vehicle will tally exactly.

By the way, the (separate) outside temperature probe for the climate control (on the right hand front apron) is best disconnected for cars driven in the city for the same reason: it's hotter down there than inside the vehicle. There is one probe for the climate control outside temperature, and another for the gauge.

RT.

Robert Wort
Grand Master
Username: robert_wort

Post Number: 247
Posted on Saturday, 24 September, 2005 - 01:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You are lucky. Mine's not working at all as it always shows minus 88 degrees (C). I'll eventually get it fixed as with the headlamp brushes but at the moment, I just tell everyone that the airconditioning is so effective, it freezes the air outside to that temperature.

Ian Leonard
New User
Username: ian_leonard

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, 27 September, 2005 - 08:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks very much for clearing that issue up Richard, makes sense.

Robert, like the explanation, these cars do have very effective aircon' in them!! Like your brushes, the next job to tackle will be the headlight washers.