Engine temp guage Turbo R Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Engine temp guage Turbo R « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nigel Parker
Experienced User
Username: trawler

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, 29 November, 2011 - 02:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,my Turbo R is now running sweetly with her new gearbox,however I notice that the temp guage while it gets off the blue may or may not make it to just touch the white arc,this is in hot weather or cooler weather.Not complaining but was wondering what the 'norm'is?
Any help gratefully received.Brgds from cool Hkg.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 826
Posted on Tuesday, 29 November, 2011 - 04:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Transmitter usually , Unless it goes up when you are sitting still for a long while, then it could be a thermostat.

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1326
Posted on Tuesday, 29 November, 2011 - 07:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nigel, having never previously replaced one of these transmitters I have now replaced 5 this year. I suspect they must be getting to their use-by-date. They are not expensive - cost about half a tank of fuel and are reasonably accessable.

It can be found on the side of the thermostat housing among a few others. It is unique in having a simple push on connector and only one wire. It needs a 5/8" spanner and a little patience and determination to get at it. If the latter is in short supply take the bonnet off and have a leisurely installation.!

Stefan Morley
Grand Master
Username: myupctoys

Post Number: 331
Posted on Tuesday, 29 November, 2011 - 07:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Nigel,

My car used to move a bit. Be less than 1/8 but enough to notice. Richard suggested it shouldn't move so checked the thermostat and was opening at about 75 Degree C and seemed a bit sticky.

Since replaced and is rock solid no matter what the temperature. Thats mid summer in South Australia on 42 degree days and very occasional -3 degree mornings.

Know where your coming from, only one car to compare against makes it a bit tough to figure normal.

Just occurred to me your not talking coolant. Assume Gearbox temperature sensor? My car doesn't have that.

Stefan

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 827
Posted on Tuesday, 29 November, 2011 - 08:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill,
£70-00 for a temp sensor?
Surely not!

:-)

Nigel Parker
Experienced User

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, 29 November, 2011 - 10:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thks everyone,am talking about the top left hand guage on the instrument panel,I am assuming thats engine operating temperature,has a blue corner and red corner with a white arc in the middle which is presumably normal operating range.My indicator makes it off the blue corner but only just touches the white arc,so whats the normal indication??//Is it in the middle or anywhere in the white arc????Thanks and apologies for any confusion.cheers NIgel

Nigel Johnson
Frequent User
Username: nigel_johnson

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, 29 November, 2011 - 17:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Come to think of it on ACH01253. Her temp gauge would climb slightly when stood at the lights then fall as we got going again. Possibly eighth of an inch. Thermostat,hmm. Regards, Nigel.

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1327
Posted on Wednesday, 30 November, 2011 - 22:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul/ That is about right. A tank full of high octane now is about 150 AUD.

Did you get my email regarding racks??

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 828
Posted on Thursday, 01 December, 2011 - 07:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bill,

I didn't get the rack message, but I have now, See PM.

If you want any more Water Temp senders give me a shout at £25-00 and light to post :-)

I have had a few calls from worried owners where it has turned out to be the oil temperature gauge, which will almost always read much lower.

James Feller
Prolific User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 173
Posted on Friday, 02 December, 2011 - 19:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Nigel,

My 89' Turbo RL Coolant Temp gauge never moves, once warm much past 1/3rd into gauge. As Stefan suggested. Richard, Stefan and I had this discussion I think about 12 months ago. I too was interested as to why. My interest though was as a comparison re the coolant temp gauges on my 86 Spirit which did move in heavy traffic and hot days, though never to anything alarming, to my Bentleys which never did, I was wondering why this was the case. So to answer your question so long as the thermostat is ok and it reaches normal operating temp the gauges in the 20,000 series cars and beyond never seem to move much past the 1/3 way into the range mark. And regardless of the temps outside they then remain rocksolid it seems.....

Nigel Johnson
Frequent User

Post Number: 53
Posted on Friday, 02 December, 2011 - 20:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi James, I'll put thermostat on the things to do list anyway. Mine is a very early Spirit (as you can tell). The gauge is generally bang on the halfway mark. Cotswold Beige too.Regards, Nigel.

Nigel Parker
Experienced User

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, 03 December, 2011 - 02:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thks All,will check it next time feeling overly active as temps here nice nd low at 14C.Cheer sNigel

Leloarer Bernard
New User
Username: leloarer

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, 11 December, 2011 - 01:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Nigel,
I had the same problem last winter on my 97 turbo R. The thermostat was not brake, but a little tired ...

[img]http://i41.servimg.com/u/f41/16/11/59/05/refroi10.jpg[/img]

Nigel Johnson
Frequent User

Post Number: 56
Posted on Sunday, 11 December, 2011 - 07:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Leloarer, a good test. Regards, Nigel J.