96 Turbo R Immobiliser(Vin SCBZP15COV... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » 96 Turbo R Immobiliser(Vin SCBZP15COVCH59187 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

trawler55
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 112.118.51.92
Posted on Thursday, 29 September, 2011 - 16:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Experts,just started having problem,s with unlocking and starting the car.If I use the remote for unlocking and stick the key in the ignition and turn ,there is a click and all goes dark with no power.Couple of times if I wait it comes good again,but then same thing happens.Now all dead with no amount of waiting for a reset.Any ideas or suggestions.Brgds Nigel

(Message approved by david_gore)

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 802
Posted on Friday, 30 September, 2011 - 09:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Nigel,

I'd turn the battery switch on and off a few times.

Check battery Terminals.

Check Alternator connections , the big lead in particular.

Check cable from alternator back to car, the smaller lead that goes to the thick lead on teh alternator.

Does EVERYTHING go dark?.

Bill Payne
Frequent User
Username: wimpy

Post Number: 70
Posted on Friday, 30 September, 2011 - 11:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If your headlights work, the battery terminals need cleaning. Otherwise what Paul said.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1035
Posted on Friday, 30 September, 2011 - 13:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nigel is located in Hong Kong where the humidity is known to cause problems with electrical terminal corrosion.

I suspect the problem may be with the alternator and/or battery positive cable terminations in the engine bay. These should be cleaned along with the battery terminals AFTER disconnecting the battery leads.

A good soaking of all the wiring loom connectors in the engine bay with electrical contact cleaner might also be a good starting point.

Nigel Parker
Yet to post message
Username: trawler

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, 04 October, 2011 - 11:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Many thanks to all.It was a battery terminal problem,when I bought the car did not check everything and it crept up on me.Brgds Nigel

Jan Forrest
Prolific User
Username: got_one

Post Number: 254
Posted on Wednesday, 05 October, 2011 - 18:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As a long time buyer of cars that are - shall we say, no longer in the first flush of youth - I have learned that it's important to have a very large tub of any make of 'petroleum jelly' to hand. Any time an electrical joint has to be split and remade, an earth contact checked or a battery replaced I've cleaned all the relevent surfaces followed by a good coating of the jelly. It keeps out the main corrosion causing agents: water and oxygen. Without these present the joints will stay sound and electrically conductive for years in almost any conditions. Only under the most arduous of conditions, such as inside a towing electrics socket, will the jelly need renewing. Even then annually is normally sufficient.