Speedo Clusters- Are they interchanga... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Speedo Clusters- Are they interchangable?? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User
Username: omar

Post Number: 204
Posted on Thursday, 29 September, 2011 - 05:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The speedo in my 1996 manufacture (1997 MY) Continental R has a MPH display as my car is a US spec model. I have a perfect speedo cluster/assembly from my 1991 manufacture Turbo R parts car that has a Km/h speedo. Can I put the 1991 cluster into the Continental R?
Thanks

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 797
Posted on Thursday, 29 September, 2011 - 05:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You can swap the speedo heads, that will keep the odometer etc correct.

You will need to reset the cluster if you fit that.

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User

Post Number: 205
Posted on Thursday, 29 September, 2011 - 12:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Many thanks Paul.
Will all the righ displays come up on the old cluster? there is a visible difference between them (one has PRNDIL and the other PRND32). Will the old cluster have for example a SPORT label when you select that option (the old car did not have that feature).
Also, how do you remove the wood facia on the Continental R?
thanks

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 799
Posted on Thursday, 29 September, 2011 - 17:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hmmmm . . . I would go for just swapping the speedo head.

I'll look into the 'sport' light later.

If you put the respective VINS into the manual and get the part numbers for the speedos, that should ensure they are compatible.

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User

Post Number: 206
Posted on Friday, 30 September, 2011 - 04:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Paul,
Thanks for your support on this matter. I fear I would have been all alone had it not been for your help. I like the idea of swapping the speedo head; but have no idea how to do that. Does this entail disassembly of the cluster? If so, how does one do that?
Also, how do I get the wood off the Conti to get the speedo off the good car?

Thanks
Omar

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Prolific User
Username: lluís

Post Number: 146
Posted on Friday, 30 September, 2011 - 23:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Omar,

a) remove knee bolster
b) you will see the screws of the surround leather pad for the wiper switch, steering wheel and key. Remove.
c) remove air vent organ type opening and closing devices by unscrewing them in normal manner.
d) gently push the wood around each of the chrome rings left around the opening and closing devices.
e) with the wood still pushed, turn the chrome ring, it's a simple bayonet closure that you are undoing.

That's it, remove gently the wood...

Note: the varnish and paint used around the wood is extremely fragile, be very careful. Steps 1 and 2 are actually not needed, but often the wood is sticky (residue from cleaning products) so it's better to remove as much as possible from around it.

Removing the cluster is self-explanatory.

(Message edited by Lluís on 30 September 2011)

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User

Post Number: 208
Posted on Saturday, 01 October, 2011 - 01:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Many Thanks Lluis

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User

Post Number: 220
Posted on Monday, 02 January, 2012 - 05:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Lluis,
You were smack on. I changed out the speedo without a problem following your instructions. I now have an easy drive being able to see how fast I am going in the right units. I have owned this car for nearly 9 months and so far accumulated three speeding tickets. Hopefully this will now be less of an issue for me.

I need to change the bulb in the oil pressure guage which is in the centre cluster. How do you take the wood off to access the guages?

Happy new year.