1981 Spirit suspension height Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » 1981 Spirit suspension height « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Aldridge
Experienced User
Username: mark_aldridge

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, 31 August, 2011 - 10:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The rear suspension on my 1981 early Spirit self levels when loaded, but does not lower when unloaded, and sits high at the rear after carrying 3 passengers and also sits slightly onesided . The suspension will take an overnight stop to lower completely. Any suggestions please.
Mark

Daniel Diewerge
Experienced User
Username: didi13109

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, 31 August, 2011 - 17:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Mark, I had the exact same problem on my Bentley 8. It turned out it was a sticky/ rusty cantilever system. The rod that goes up from the suspension spring pod goes into some kind of cantilever system. There is a lever-spring in there that transmits the movement (or better: part of it) to the leveling valve itself, normally there is some protective foam around the spring, alas not in my case. This spring is there to protect the valve from very harsh movements as well as limiting the maximum travel. The rod in the valve itself moves only a few millimeters. If the friction in the cantilever system is higher than the force the spring can transmit, you have the problem you described. In my case the rear left suspension ram extended to the maximum after a few kilometers. I loosened the bolt that goes thru the cantilever block, the rod at the spring pod, sprayed WD40 on everything and worked the linkage with a little help of vise-grip pliers. No everthing works perfect an I could finally adjust the suspension and it stays as it should.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 780
Posted on Wednesday, 31 August, 2011 - 18:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark, I suspect Daniel has hit the nail on the head there.

An often missed service item - spray grease into the spring mechanism.

Mark Aldridge
Experienced User

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, 01 September, 2011 - 06:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Daniel and Paul,Ihave soaked them in WD40 tonight and will disconnect the rod and work the linkage at the weekend.
Mark

Mark Aldridge
Experienced User

Post Number: 44
Posted on Sunday, 04 September, 2011 - 21:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

After a good soaking in WD40 and a thorough coat of spray chain lube both valves are working properly
Thanks Mark