After-Market reservoirs Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » After-Market reservoirs « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Prolific User
Username: lluís

Post Number: 140
Posted on Monday, 15 August, 2011 - 17:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello all,

Ever since I bought my continental, has the power-steering reservoir sweated. New hoses and so on have not remedied the problem...

I think I want to relocate it next to the cooling system expansion tank and make it alloy, something like this http://www.sm-engineering.co.uk/alloy_power_steering_tank.php

Has anybody done this in his car and can I get advise of where is it best to buy an aftermarket metal reservoir?

Can otherwise anybody advise on a replacement from another brand or RR/B year? Jaguar used to make beautiful metal units for the XJ 4.2, but I am not sure whether they will fit.

Last but not least, those of you changed to original platic behr header tank, how did you fit the level probe? I am afraid that metal-plastic contact will not be very good for life-length.

Thanks in advance.

Lluís

(Message edited by Lluís on 15 August 2011)

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User
Username: omar

Post Number: 197
Posted on Tuesday, 16 August, 2011 - 05:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

LLuis,
I have replaced my Turbo RL radiator with a hand-made all aluminium radiator. The difference to the cooling is tremendous. I am now going to remove it from the Turbo RL and put it in my Continental R as I intend to sell the Turbo RL in the near future and dont want to lose this fantastic radiator. It was not cheap, but well worth the expense. The temperature on my car rarely goes up. The level probe you talk about is in the expansion tank not the radiator header tank. It simply unscrews from the white plastic reservoir on the side of the car.
leave the Power steering reservoir where it is. It works very well there. Maybe your plastic reservoir has a hairline crack or maybe the cap does not make a good seal or maybe you have too much fluid in the system.
The metal units like the XJ 4.2 are also fitted to the older Shadows and Wraiths. When Rolls-Royce improved the design, they went away from the American style tin can reservoir to the plastic one you have on your car.

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Prolific User

Post Number: 141
Posted on Tuesday, 16 August, 2011 - 17:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Omar,

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I meant expansion tank...

I have the tin version in an XJ-SC, never leaked a drop. In my other Jaguar and the Bentley it's always sweating, and I am on the second reservoir, which is annoying.

It's good to know you can have nice after-market radiators, but is most parts of Europe, cooling is not a real problem, at least for my Continental, post-highway jam gives me a temperature rise, but it goes down in a minute of two...

Best regards,

Lluís

Lungmuss
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 195.93.21.34
Posted on Wednesday, 17 August, 2011 - 01:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Llui's,
I am not sure what you mean't by the power steering resevoir 'sweating'. If you are having a loss of fluid then may I put forward my experience on a Turbo R in the hope it helps. At one point the pipes come down from the reservoir and run along the chassis. It would seem that for 2-3 inches the pipe is exposed to all the muck and water from the road. My pipe was perforated and very thin and losing losing fluid.
I appreciate your problem might not be the same but I thought my experience might help sooner than ignore your plight.
regards,
Clive

(Message approved by david_gore)

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Prolific User

Post Number: 142
Posted on Wednesday, 17 August, 2011 - 17:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear all,

Thank you a lot and indeed yes, sharing experience helps. Pipes have been changed which is a pain and still the lady sweats.

I think the set up is identical to Turbo R and maybe atmospheric models, but the pipes have a little heat shield to protect them from the exhaust manifold, more not, so I guess they degrade faster that the eye sees...

I will dismantle everything in the area, clean it and inspect. After 30000 miles in two years the engine started looking dirty anyway.

Reports will come.

Lluís

(Message edited by Lluís on 17 August 2011)