Air Bag Warning Light Does Not Go Away Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Air Bag Warning Light Does Not Go Away « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User
Username: omar

Post Number: 194
Posted on Tuesday, 05 July, 2011 - 05:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear All,
My 1996 Conitental R has an airbag warning light that will not go out. I bought the car with a small crunch on the front wing that was minor. This crunch did not trigger the air bag to deploy as it was minor. The warning light is always on and I would really want it to go away. Any ideas?
Also, there is a trick that Paul York told me many years ago for converting the trip meter to read in Km instead of Miles but I can't find that list of instructions now. Any input on both the two points above?
Thanks
Omar

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User

Post Number: 207
Posted on Friday, 30 September, 2011 - 04:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I found the sensor on the drivers side held on with only one bolt!!
The other fastener was in place but not securing the sensor. I fixed the problem but the light is still on. I now need to reset. Who know how to reset? the car is 1996 production car so it is a 97 MY and that makes the system different to the 96 models.
Any help will be welcome here.
Thanks
Omar

Jan Forrest
Prolific User
Username: got_one

Post Number: 253
Posted on Wednesday, 05 October, 2011 - 18:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The common way on most vehicles for clearing a spurious fault condition is to disconnect the battery for a while. Depending on the precise conditions/vehicle this can be as long as overnight or as short as 2 seconds.

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User

Post Number: 210
Posted on Thursday, 06 October, 2011 - 03:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Jan. I have tried this trick but not the overnight vesrion. Well worth a try though.
Thanks
Omar

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User

Post Number: 212
Posted on Wednesday, 12 October, 2011 - 03:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Jan,
Tried the overnight trick.....did it for two nights in fact. Sadly no result. The airbg light is still on. I think I have no choice but to take the car to the Bentley dealer and watch them fleece me.
What do the rest of the members of this community do for their post-96 model cars? Do they all go the dealer and pay big bucks for jobs that we are more than capable of handling?

Brian Vogel
Experienced User
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, 12 October, 2011 - 05:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

Since your car is a 1996 it should have the standard On Board Diagnostics (OBD-II) connector. If you get yourself a code reader that reads standard, anti-lock brake (ABS), and supplemental restraint system (SRS, or in other words, airbag) codes you might at least know what's going on before you go to the dealer, even if you can't fix it yourself.

My understanding is that for most cars critical OBD codes are stored in non-volatile memory, which means that they will not be cleared even if the battery is disconnected for a period of time. Non-critical codes are stored in volatile memory that will clear after battery (and battery backup) power is exhausted.

I have an OBD-II reader that only does standard codes. There are separate readers for both ABS and SRS codes, but if you don't have a code reader I'd look for one that is an "all-in-one".

Brian, who likes to have some idea of what the OBD computer says is going on even if I do have to turn to the professionals to fix it.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 806
Posted on Wednesday, 12 October, 2011 - 07:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Omar,

Have you been through all the connections and cables etc? to make sure everything is sound.

If there is a current fault the light will always be on. Does it stay on or does it come on? Are the fuses etc all good?

Alternator charging correctly and battery in good condition?