Protecting the Lady Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Protecting the Lady « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 134
Posted on Sunday, 25 April, 2004 - 10:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Having been afflicted with plunging ladies thanks to our safety gurus, I really would like to hide the old girl while she is parked. Some time ago Introcar had a one off sale of a plate with a Yale lock on it which clipped into the top of the grill having given the lass a smack in the chops and put her back under. Unlike the fixed mascots the lady is not removable as far as I am aware without pulling the whole thing to bits. Any advice pls?

John Dare
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 144.138.194.100
Posted on Sunday, 25 April, 2004 - 19:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Bill, I have often pondered this myself with my early (1970) Shadow, envisaging the custom manufacture of a screwed/threaded "intermediate" piece ( I believe, known as a "spacer" (USA) or "distance piece" (UK) the design/concept of which would simply allow the F.L to be removed as required, whenever we need to LOCU (Leave Our Cars Unattended). For obvious reasons this was never considered by the factory. I do have a spare (fixed) F.L, and might, when time permits, give it to a competent machinist to make up a prototype. I recall once reading that it cost "R-R" over 250,000 stg. to put the "retractable" lady into production, but I will hopefully spend less than that!. I will pass my results on to you, but we must keep it a secret, otherwise I might receive a sermon from Mount Blanc!

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 136
Posted on Monday, 26 April, 2004 - 09:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John/ I get nervous corresponding with members subject to a ukase. Speaking of which one of the last ones issued I read was by Catherine the Great. Did you know how she died? Not a matter for these pages I assure you. Meanwhile, you already know that your mascot is very readily removable although the embuggerance of fiddling with an Allen Key and avoiding gouging the bonnet is a drawback. And parking caps for Shadows are still available although they cost more than the Shadow is worth. I made one up but could not find a spring to fit it so I resorted to using the suction cup from a valve grinder for its extraction. I actually met the engineer who designed the retractable lady. He had a mock up which he produced at the Factory when I visited there in 1980. He was very proud. There are two different mechanisms you know which affect the rate of detumescence. I dread some monster trying to wrench the whole thing out of the grille - the carnage would be horrific. As to your approach I would suggest removing the whole top assembly and making up a new one with a screw on cap the latter holding the gentle woman. A lot of work but what else have we to do other than continually minister to these vehicles!

John Dare
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 144.138.194.103
Posted on Wednesday, 05 May, 2004 - 08:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Another very interesting report in the Melbourne, "Herald-Sun"; May 5th at page 27, "Rolling out 100 years of luxury", reporting that 35 "Centenary" Phantoms will be made with a REMOVABLE Flying Lady. No wonder, given that it will be of SOLID silver!. I wont be able to afford THAT part, but might enquire about the parts whch comprise the mounting arrangement. Retrofit, anyone?

John Dare
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 144.138.194.103
Posted on Wednesday, 05 May, 2004 - 08:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Bill, I had overlooked your previous post as I havent (according to my therapist) been quite the same since my Ukase. Nevertheless,the prognosis is suggestive of a complete recovery after which time we might jointly solve the problem re vulnerability of our Flying Ladies.

whunter
Prolific User
Username: whunter

Post Number: 94
Posted on Friday, 26 November, 2004 - 05:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As mentioned; there are several options for protecting the lady.
Protection is my chauffer carrying a shotgun.
Many events in the USA require security, to prevent this type of vandalism.