Windtone horns on Turbo R - low note ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Windtone horns on Turbo R - low note no longer... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

James Feller
Prolific User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 166
Posted on Wednesday, 18 May, 2011 - 21:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All, sorry I posted this in the SY section before..... excuse the double up. No Problem James - now fixed

Need some help please... how on earth do you get to the low note windtone horn on an 89 Turbo. The low note one on mine has failed or wont work anymore and frankly using the horns is a little 'embarrassing' now.... The airhorns are fine but I dont really like using them. I have taken the grill off and of course the one I need to get at is completely obscured by an oil cooler. The other I can see and get at is fine. I have looked in the tech library and the diagrams there indicated they should be stacked on each other???? but in my car they are mounted on each side of the grill and are just below the back of the front bumper bar thus the mouths of the horns face out the centre section of the front airdamn. I suppose the years of getting water and dirt up there has taken its toll. To come at it from underneath looks hard too as the rubber sheilding for the radiator is in the way... is there are trick or something I'm missing... I hope I dont have the remove the front BBar to replace this silly froggy horn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Richard any tricks you know of?? surely you have encountered this little issue. BTW I'm going to order both tones as if one has gone the other is sure to follow................
Ta J

(Message edited by david_gore on 19 May 2011)

Rod Hebblewhite
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 81.131.194.219
Posted on Thursday, 19 May, 2011 - 04:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi James, could you not just leave the duff horn where it is until such time as you can get to it easier and stack the new ones as in the tech manual.
Regards, Rod.

(Message approved by david_gore)

James Feller
Prolific User

Post Number: 168
Posted on Tuesday, 21 June, 2011 - 11:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

as i'm sure you all lost sleep wondering what the outcome was... well new low note one installed and offensive 'get out of the fast lane' windtones blast clear and free!
I did remove a rubber valance from the underside front skirt. This was really the only practical way other than removing the front bar. It was still a bloody fiddle though....
Cheers
J

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2353
Posted on Tuesday, 21 June, 2011 - 14:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry I missed your posts James. Yes, I have had those Fiamm horns out, but you have the knack now it seems. Usually clearing out the hornets from the horns and replacing the hoses makes them work fine again. Of course, don’t forget to top up the compressor yearly with sewing machine oil. Which brand did you fit this time ? There are some astonishingly cheap Chinese copies of Fiamms available at the spares factor chains these days.

RT.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2354
Posted on Tuesday, 21 June, 2011 - 16:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Whoops: I see that you meant the standard horns. What's wrong with using the air horns ? I leave them selected all the time. But then I'm a Pratt.

James Feller
Prolific User

Post Number: 170
Posted on Tuesday, 21 June, 2011 - 19:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

HiHo my friend, when is the next get redwine coming? Yes yes the Mixo Windtone job was buggered on my Turbo. The Fiamm airhorn jobs are fine, I only use them on the freeway if I remember to flick the switch as they take 1/2 a second or so to really get blowing but they do sound outrageous don't they!!!! hehehhe they do make me laugh.
Nah I actually prefer the Mixo windtones for most applications... I find they have the desired result....
from one Pratt to another.... ciao!!!

:-)

J