OBD-II Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » OBD-II « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Prolific User
Username: lluís

Post Number: 127
Posted on Friday, 04 March, 2011 - 19:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

hi all,

I posted this question in another forum and got no answer...

I was wondering whether the Continental R (1994 MY) has an OBD-II EMS socket and where.

The background is an army or new Androis application for hand-held computers and smartphones, that allow to connect via blue tooth with the Engine Management System and read as you drive the sensor data. Nice to know some things like what boost pressure is your ECU reading, etc...

Thanks in advance,

Lluís

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User
Username: omar

Post Number: 185
Posted on Saturday, 05 March, 2011 - 01:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dera Lluis,
I don't have an answer for you, but given that you already have a Continental R, can you help me find out where I can get manuals and other technical details for my 96 model car? I imagine you probably have literature for your car already.
Thanks
Omar

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Prolific User

Post Number: 128
Posted on Saturday, 05 March, 2011 - 02:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi there,

I use the CD rom manual called IETIS, but mechanically it's identical to a turbo R, so the only annoying thing is when you have to find a component as this might no be exactly in the same place as the saloon, or when you have to take the interior appart to install a new audio system, and you do not know where all those little screws are, just post me in case that you need this information, as it's too easy to break something...

What I can only recommend is the wonderfull Martin Bennett book on the Continental. It's very nice.

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User

Post Number: 186
Posted on Saturday, 05 March, 2011 - 04:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

many thanks Lluis.
I have IETIS but it no longer works for me as it time expired in 2010.

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Prolific User

Post Number: 130
Posted on Tuesday, 08 March, 2011 - 18:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The answer to my question was rather obvious... CHECK THE VIN.

See positions 6 and 7 here http://rrtechnical.info/ChassisNumbers/sz_vin.pdf

Best regards

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Prolific User

Post Number: 147
Posted on Tuesday, 04 October, 2011 - 17:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi,

An update.

I made a physical interface to Mastercheck to OBD bluetooth readers by using a Volkswagen sourced VAG-COM cable. it just needs the Tx/Rx lines k and l and mass and 12v.

So fas so good. I tried then to initialise through the ISO9141 protocol the computer to get datastream for sensors. I do get communication but still no connection that allows me to interprete sensor datastream.

I will post further.Best regards,

Lluís

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 804
Posted on Tuesday, 04 October, 2011 - 17:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Prolific User

Post Number: 148
Posted on Tuesday, 04 October, 2011 - 19:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Prolific User

Post Number: 149
Posted on Tuesday, 04 October, 2011 - 19:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just to elaborate the previous posting. It seems that the Motronic 3.3 unit indeed uses standard datastream protocols the problem is initialising the communication.

I got in touch with a gentleman who did an interface (adapted) for 964 Porsches. The problem was fining the rate at which the ECU is woken up, afterwards the protocol is standard.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 1037
Posted on Tuesday, 04 October, 2011 - 21:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Lluis, There is a company in the USA which sells VW VAGCOM [VCDS]kits amongst others which include the relevant software; they might also be able to help with software suitable for your Bentley.

Check the link below for more information:

www.ross-tech.com/index.html

Their compatibility chart shows the Bentley Continental from 2003 but this may not be the only model they have information on and it is worth asking the question about your car as they may have the relevant data for your system from another make which used the same hardware.

(Message edited by david_gore on 04 October 2011)

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Prolific User

Post Number: 150
Posted on Tuesday, 04 October, 2011 - 22:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David,

Thank you for the comment. Put into a nutshell, all RR/Bentleys with Mastercheck k-l lines (1993 on) can communicate per se with an external interface through an ISO protocol. But until the 1996-on US models and of course 2003 continental models Bentley / RR were not obliged to have a FULL communication protocols, including no only datastream, but also the plug shape and the initialisation protocol.

I will contact Ross-Tech, but the fact that they can communicate with a 2003+ ECU is not only normal, it's obliged by law in most of the world.

My problem now is how to get to the ISO datastream of older vehicles, or better said, how to initialised the communication with the ECU, so that it opens datastream mode.

Voilŕ more of less.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2423
Posted on Wednesday, 05 October, 2011 - 21:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

At least for the cars prior to the 1996MY (earlier for Contis etc), i.e. without the OBD-II EMS ISO universal interface, you can simply use the blink code feature for almost everything you need.

RT.

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Prolific User

Post Number: 151
Posted on Friday, 07 October, 2011 - 22:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nope,

Richard: they got rid (sadly) of the blink codes in 1994 with the short-lived Bosch EMS Motronic 3.3. Indeed in 1996 the OBD-II came. so 94 and 95 and only accessible through Mastercheck. In case that you know for sure otherwise, please do tell me.

I am not only interested in the codes anyway, what I want to access is the sensor datastream.

Regards,

Lluís

Brian Vogel
Experienced User
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 29
Posted on Saturday, 08 October, 2011 - 02:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar Shams wrote:

>I have IETIS but it no longer works for me as it >time expired in 2010.

This is easily worked around with a tiny bit of "creative scripting." Copy the following, and save it in a file named "Run_IETIS.bat" that you put in the C:\IETIS2002 folder (or whatever your install folder was for IETIS - the line that calls HTVIEW would also be prefixed with the actual folder where the software is installed):

------- cut following this line ------

@echo off
set TODAYSDATE=%date:~3%
date 01/01/10
start c:\IETIS2002\HTVIEW.EXE
PING 127.0.0.1 -n 1 >NUL
date %TODAYSDATE%

------- stop cutting before this line ------

Right click on the Run_IETIS.bat file you created and choose Send->To Desktop (Create Shortcut)

If you are running under Win7, you'll need to go to that shortcut, right click on it to open its Properties dialog, and then click the Advanced button at the lower right. In the Advanced Properties dialog that opens up check the "Run as Administrator" text box.

What this does is to temporarily set the system date to January 1, 2010, launch IETIS, and then immediately switch the system date back to whatever it was. The ping command is there only to make sure there is a sufficient pause time for IETIS to start with the system date changed before changing it back.

Brian

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User

Post Number: 211
Posted on Saturday, 08 October, 2011 - 05:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Brian,
Many thanks for your reply. Paul Yorke very kindly sorted me out and my problem has since gone away.
I am grateful for your support though.
Regards
Omar

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Prolific User

Post Number: 152
Posted on Monday, 10 October, 2011 - 18:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Some update,

Yesterday I managed to make progress but still no datastream yet.

I finally got an echo from the ECU using a variable signal.

It is still not there, but I was talking to some E32 BMW guys who managed to open live communication with the identical M3.3 V8 ECU of their cars, the problem is simply how to initialise the comm, as I thought.

We might get there, and post I will.

Best regards,

L. Gimeno

Leloarer Bernard
Yet to post message
Username: leloarer

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, 10 December, 2011 - 09:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Brian
I've the same problem than Omar, with Windows XP SP3

@echo off
date 01/01/10
That goes right

start D:\IETIS2002\HTVIEW.EXE
That only open the right folder, in D: for me, but doesn't start htview.exe which is in this right folder

PING 127.0.0.1 -n 1 >NUL
That seems good

date %TODAYSDATE%
That doesn't go. It ask me to enter the right date

Could you tell me where i do mistake ?

Thanks by advance
Bernard

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 833
Posted on Saturday, 10 December, 2011 - 09:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

set TODAYSDATE=%date:~%
date 25-04-2008

I use the ping cmd about 10 times.

make sure it is running with administrator rights.

Peter Talbot
Frequent User
Username: squerryes

Post Number: 93
Posted on Saturday, 10 December, 2011 - 09:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Windows XP with SP3 has an unstable/variable intrinsic fault - it would take me many hours/pages to explain this - so I won't !!

Your best bet is to: back up yor C: drive using e.g. Norton Ghost, wipe XP from your C: drive, re-instate Windows XP, then sequentially download SP1, then SP2, then SP3 - checking compliance at completion of each download.

Peter
Emeritus Professor of Computing Science

Brian Vogel
Experienced User

Post Number: 45
Posted on Saturday, 10 December, 2011 - 09:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well, I've done a lot of experimenting across Windows Platforms and, as Peter notes, XP doesn't always behave well. However, I've not found such an extreme solution as he proposes to be necessary. The script, revised as follows, has worked on all XP machines that I've been involved with getting the "new" version of IETIS running on:

-------------------------------
@echo off
date 01/01/10
start c:\IETIS2002\HTVIEW.EXE
PING 127.0.0.1 -n 5 >NUL
date %TODAYSDATE%
--------------------------------

Changing the -n parameter to 5 from one extends the wait time on the ping. You can up it if necessary to 9 or 10.

If the "start" command is not opening the program, provided you have it in D:\IETIS2002, then something is really wrong as the start command starts programs.

This script, as shown above, also works flawlessly under Windows 7. As Paul notes, it's presumed that you are running with administrative rights. Also, if User Account Control is driving you mad by asking if you really want programs to run each time you run them, check out UAC Controller at http://www.itknowledge24.com/downloads.html

Brian

Brian Vogel
Experienced User

Post Number: 46
Posted on Saturday, 10 December, 2011 - 10:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Actually, I want to add one note. I believe, though I have not directly experimented with it, that something "under the hood" in the IETIS software as it's supplied expects the program to reside on the C: drive and only the C: drive. Since you're not installing this software in the conventional sense it doesn't rely on environment variables or registry entries.

If you haven't tried putting it on C:\IETIS2002 I'd strongly suggest doing this.

Brian Vogel
Experienced User

Post Number: 47
Posted on Saturday, 10 December, 2011 - 10:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

One final note:

If you want to see what's actually happening while the script is running then delete the "@echo off" on the first line.

It'll drive you crazy under normal circumstances, but it's quite handy when debugging.

Peter Talbot
Frequent User
Username: squerryes

Post Number: 94
Posted on Saturday, 10 December, 2011 - 10:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian

I must, perforce, agree that your proposed resolution of the XP/SP3 problem has an elegance lacking in my extreme/brute-force suggestion.

In the UK it's coming up to 0035 hrs, I'm getting a bit tired so will try out your suggestion later on.

Peter

Leloarer Bernard
New User
Username: leloarer

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, 10 December, 2011 - 19:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Many thanks to Brian, Paul and Peter

I's good now !
For me;
The right write is TODAYSDATE=%date:~% (without 3)

The IETIS works even in D: folder but as his name is IETIS 2 with a space, i must write it with "" --> start D:\"IETIS 2"\HTView.exe

And i need to put the ping at 10 for having the time to answer at the choice between english or french .

Have a nice day !

Brian Vogel
Experienced User

Post Number: 48
Posted on Sunday, 11 December, 2011 - 01:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

When I wrote this script I did not take into account international formatting differences in formatting date presentation under Windows. You can see how date is formatted on your system by opening a command prompt window and typing "date /t" and seeing what comes back. On my computer for the current date I get:

Sat 12/10/2011

What's happening in that TODAYSDATE line is that I'm chopping out only the " 12/10/2011" part by saying to snag from the third character (the first character is considered to be character 0, not 1) to the end of the string. Had I been really tidy that 3 would have been a 4 based on the date format on my machine. I don't need the leading blank, but it hurts nothing to have it.

In order to make this work perfectly you need to know how date is actually presented on your computer. For instance, if the "date /t" command returned "12/10/2011 Sat" the TODAYSDATE line would need to read:

set TODAYSDATE=%date:~0,10%

which says to snag 10 characters starting at the first character of the returned date string.

Sorry this is so long winded, but depending on where you are in the world and how your system is set up to show date (and accept it when setting it, for that matter), you're going to need to parse out the appropriate chunk of the string the date command returns so that you can feed it back to the date command to reset your date back to today's date.

Thank you, Leloarer, for being the tester and confirming that the IETIS software can be copied to a location other than C:\IETIS2002 and still run just fine.

Michael Hicks
Yet to post message
Username: bentleyman22

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, 16 December, 2011 - 02:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi every body well you have a English man on hear as well
I am interested in the Post as well
has any body got the pin out for the round Diagnostic plug? and all so the US 16 pin plug? and from there
i will play
Michael

Brian Vogel
Frequent User

Post Number: 51
Posted on Friday, 16 December, 2011 - 03:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

For the 16-pin standard OBD/OBD-II connector the best diagram I've ever seen is here at the obdii.com website. It gives you the pin configuration for the connector and then explains which are actually used depending on the protocol the car actually uses.

Michael Hicks
New User
Username: bentleyman22

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, 16 December, 2011 - 04:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks got that
I want the actual one's on the RR/B US speck with wire color so I can cross them over

Lluís Gimeno-Fabra
Prolific User

Post Number: 154
Posted on Wednesday, 21 December, 2011 - 20:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi,

Stupidly (moderator please excuse me, it's my fault) there are two topics on this.

I think that since the OBD interface in our cars is called mastercheck I will continue posting in the other topic (see "Master-Check Pin Out / ECU access".

See you there,

Lluís