Foam around headlamps openings Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Foam around headlamps openings « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Daniel Diewerge
Experienced User
Username: didi13109

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, 29 December, 2010 - 19:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As I see from the parts catalogue, the SZ cars with rectangular headlights had some kind of foam material/ gasket fitted around the headlight openings in the body.

Is it advisable to install this gasket? To me it looks like a humidity trap. On the other hand it might be important to avoid wind noises and for cosmetic reasons. Could anybody give me the approx. size of this foam strip so I can buy a roll of generic foam instead of waiting for the parts to arrive from GB.
Thank you.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 705
Posted on Wednesday, 29 December, 2010 - 19:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Daniel,

It's cosmetic and will look 'gappy' without it unless you have a very dark coloured car.

Self adhesive neoprene on a roll works best. 10 to 15 mm wide and about 7mm thick. Try some double glazing firms to see if they have anything similar.

Also used between the grill and the body.

Daniel Diewerge
Experienced User
Username: didi13109

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, 29 December, 2010 - 19:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Paul, that was quick! :-)
Luckily I have an outlet nearby that sells all kind of rubber material and they have neoprene strips in a lot of sizes.
One last question: is the foam installed all the way around the opening and is it installed flush with the edge of the body opening? Thank you!

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 706
Posted on Wednesday, 29 December, 2010 - 20:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Daniel, I guess slightly set back if all the parts sit right. I'd be tempted to fit the parts and see how they look because you may need to set it further back in places. You may need a double thickness at the indicators.

Suck it and see, I guess.