Sump Nut for RR Spirit Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Sump Nut for RR Spirit « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ashley Jezella
Yet to post message
Username: ashley

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, 27 March, 2004 - 04:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Could someone please tell me what size of alan key I need to remove the sum nut on an 86 Spirit.

Ashley

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 232
Posted on Saturday, 27 March, 2004 - 04:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ashley,

Rather than using an allen key, I think you will need a 3/8 or 1/2 inch drive hex male socket to get enough torque to undo the setscrew. A set of imperial/metric sockets can be purchased from Repco/Super Cheap however the price is an absolute indication of quality.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 142
Posted on Saturday, 27 March, 2004 - 05:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It is a 9/16 inch (AF: across flats) Allen key. A 14mm is the same size. Any good tool shop will sell you one which fits a standard socket drive spanner.

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 122
Posted on Saturday, 27 March, 2004 - 07:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

An interesting problem. I have seen some of the most incredible butchery on these plugs since Vlad first sharpened his stakes. Cold chisels on the flange seem to be the favourite technique but the prize I awarded went to a genius who braised a large nut on the thing presumably to fit his favourite spanner. I don't believe they ever changed the size from the time of their first installation and does anybody know when that was - a Cooke Street design perhaps? The first departure of which I am aware is the sump of the 4 speed transmission which came in about 1992 when it was replaced with something resembling a galvanised pipe plug. But what does intrigue me is why they dropped the removal tool from the tool kit for the SZ cars? Did they really believe that owners would be encouraged to only have their oils changed by an 'authorised' dealer! It beggars belief. Anyway Ashley, you asked and have been told. Hopefully another plug will have avoided the ordeal of the cold chisel!

Ashley Jezella
New User
Username: ashley

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, 29 March, 2004 - 23:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the help fellas. I'll also have to see if one was supplied in the toolkit.

Jezella

John Dare
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 144.138.194.90
Posted on Monday, 08 November, 2004 - 15:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To whom it may interest. Please see L.Halperts recent post (under "For sale/Wanted" etc.) for a practical alternative and at a modest price.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Gordon Norris
Experienced User
Username: crewes_missile

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, 08 March, 2005 - 19:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John and all,
Just a note of warning with STEEL hex head alternative replacements: UNLESS you do all the oil changes yourself, it is alot easier for a hamfisted mechanic to strip or crack the sump threads with these than an original brass plug.

GN.