Idle Setting Question Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Idle Setting Question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stefan Morley
Prolific User
Username: myupctoys

Post Number: 205
Posted on Tuesday, 27 July, 2010 - 10:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All,

Question in relation to setting the idle speed, Bentley Turbo R KE2 Jetronic. Manual suggests turning on the AC then set the speed to 580rpm +/-10rpm.

What I want to know is how much is typical of a car RPM to change between the AC clutch engaged and not engaged.

Thanks
Stefan

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2182
Posted on Tuesday, 27 July, 2010 - 20:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Stefan, it should be 580 rpm with or without the compressor.

There is a solenoid to compensate for the compressor load. So, there are two adjustments for 580: one with and one without the compressor engaged. Whatever the base rpm setting, the solenoid should compensate once the compressor engages such that the RPM does not budge.

In short, I disagree with the method suggested, but await and enjoy ridicule as always.

My method does seem to do the trick with the KE2 on Turbos SCBZS0T09HCH20037 and 20122. First, set it with the compressor disengaged. Then, engage the compressor and fine tune the solenoid compensation if necessary.

There is absolutely no measurable change in engine RPM between the two states when set correctly in my experience.

RT.

Stefan Morley
Prolific User

Post Number: 208
Posted on Tuesday, 27 July, 2010 - 23:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

Thanks for that. Looks like a have an issue then.

I can set the RPM +/- about 4rpm at 580 with the main screw. But I have about 80 rpm difference between the compressor engaged and disengaged.

Didn't know you can adjust the idle speed solenoid separately. Guess first check will be to make sure the valve isn't blocked.

Cant see it in the manual??

Thanks
Stefan

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User
Username: omar

Post Number: 153
Posted on Wednesday, 28 July, 2010 - 04:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Stefan,
As you know I eagerly await any of your posts as I feel you are an Australian version of me with respect to all your Turbo R woes. I am convinced your car must be my car's sister even though they have different fuel control systems.
Your experiences with insufficeint boost, idle speed discrepancy between compressor on and off, your possible inlet system pressure leaks, your low voltage at idle etc etc.
Keep writing!!!
First thing I did tonight when I got in was to go and look for the guilty bolt, but mine was there!!! Not guilty your honour!!
I changed my battery in the hope of restoring idle speed voltage when the AC is on full blast and lights on - but I have not won that battle.
Idle speed voltage dips to around 11v on the guage which must send all the fuel control signals haywire.
I am now looking at replacing the alternator from a friend's car to see if that is the guilty party.
Perhaps the low voltage is due to low idle speed. I am in a chicken and egg situation.

Here is a quick note to Richard: when are you planning to fly to Europe next? could you break the journey in Dubai and spend a few days here as a car consultant tourist??? I can keep the bevies flowing....

keep the posts going guys.

Omar

Stefan Morley
Prolific User

Post Number: 209
Posted on Wednesday, 28 July, 2010 - 18:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Omar,

I had a problem with the voltage browning out, I tracked that down to one of the wires on the alternator. Someone in the past must have pushed the plug on the alternator and inadvertently forced the pin partially backwards. Looked good from the back, encased in rubber grommet, but not making contact when viewed from the socket side. Think I put a post on the forum asking a question about it with pictures.

Looked at the manual and got the multimeter out. Cant measure anything when the AC engages/disengages. But can when I put the car in gear. The Idle Speed solenoid isn't connected to the fuel system unit although its on the circuit for the fuel system. Apparently goes to the gear change switch. I drop about 10>>20 rpm when gear selected the idle speed solenoid must be working.

Just wondering how the engine might compensate for the AC clutch changing?

Stefan

Stefan Morley
Prolific User

Post Number: 210
Posted on Wednesday, 28 July, 2010 - 18:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

Search for "Alternator Pinout" in forum for my alternator issue. don't know how to post a link to the topic.

Stefan

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 971
Posted on Wednesday, 28 July, 2010 - 20:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Stefan,

I trust this is the link you intended:

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/17/8974.html

Your alternator information was posted on Wednesday, 02 December, 2009 - 03:39 pm.

Stefan Morley
Prolific User

Post Number: 212
Posted on Wednesday, 28 July, 2010 - 20:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

I just get http://au.rrforums.net/cgi-bin/forum/discus.pl in my address bar :-(

Thanks
Stefan

Stefan Morley
Prolific User

Post Number: 215
Posted on Thursday, 29 July, 2010 - 10:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

Trying to figure out the AC Engaged Dis-Engaged rpm issue.

Other cars I've worked on have a wire from the AC to tell the engine management system that the AC clutch is engaged. Allowing a means to let the system decide that it should turn the idle speed solenoid on. Don't see how that happens in the Bentley given the Idle Speed solenoid only appears to be connected to the Gearshift switch. I can live with the change but just nice to know if it can be fixed.

Any ideas on how the KE2 System deals with it?

Stefan

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 972
Posted on Thursday, 29 July, 2010 - 15:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Stefan,

You have to right-click on the thread header proper that comes up on the search page and then left-click the "copy link location" option. Do not click on the post description below the header.

Go to the reply page and use the "paste" command and the proper link will appear.

Regards
David

Stefan Morley
Prolific User

Post Number: 216
Posted on Thursday, 29 July, 2010 - 15:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

Thanks, too easy once you know how.

Stefan