Spirit Fog Lights - nil... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Spirit Fog Lights - nil... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

James Feller
Prolific User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 150
Posted on Sunday, 11 July, 2010 - 12:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Its always the way.....

Last night I needed them and of course no illumination.... confounding confounding confounding. The little switch on the facia adjacent the fuel filler release of course lit up, yes the master lighting was on and the fuse C6 was fine but do you think the 2 Bosch fog lights would come on under the front bumper... ahhh no. They worked last winter I can assure you, but not now. One thing I was not able to check was the halogen globes, being dark, cold and foggy... was not really conducive to this positive check. However I find it highly unlikely they both have blown. If the facia switch is illuminated, therefore getting power and the fuse is not blown, any ideas good people as to why they would not be working. Is there some secret Crewe 'mystery' panel check I need to do? I have not checked the globes as I said but find it hard to believe they have both blown given the fact 8 months ago they were working fine and now.. nada nil zipo...

Cheers

J

Neville Davies
Experienced User
Username: nev_davies

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, 11 July, 2010 - 17:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

James. Both the lights are fed from a common connector behind the panel adjacent to the left hand lamp.Possible starting point?
Nev

Jeffrey McCarthy
Prolific User
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 218
Posted on Sunday, 11 July, 2010 - 18:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

James,

I know nothing about Spirits but having followed a similar annoying problem on the Shadow, I found that the problem was a corroded and bent connection on the engine side of the firewall connector plate.

The loom plug connector panels are visible in the firewall behind the carpet and are basically bakelite plates with brass male pins on each side. There is one in each footwell.

Remove the plugs from the footwell side of the plate: then remove the plugs on the engine side (under the blower motor and the cruise control bellows respectively). If you want to remove the plate the screws are to be found on the footwell side.

Check every connector is actually engaging on the pins and is not corroded or broken.

The problem is usually on the engine side, being more exposed but sometimes an accidental kick in the footwell loosens something.

Look up the electrical diagram in the technical library and go cross-eyed working out which coloured wires you're after - it really does save time.

The next thing I checked was connectivity between the (engine side) plug and the light - I did have a wire broken in the middle of the loom. Rather than undo everthing I just put in a new (labelled) wire and taped it to the loom.

(Message edited by jefmac2003 on 11 July 2010)

James Feller
Prolific User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 158
Posted on Thursday, 25 November, 2010 - 11:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well Neville you were right..... being a little bored last night with time on my hands I decided to see if I could investigate this issue myself. In truth I had been lazy in not looking at it sooner and thought I'll just wait till the Spirit goes in for service and have the guys figure it out....
On my back under the front of the car I went and with torch looked for the obvious, loose wires, connectors not plugged in etc etc. Well looking revealed all, not only were the two connecting wires unplugged near the headlight washer bottle but the positive feed wires were hanging down and looked 'ripped or pulled out' too.
Hmm I though, so I simply sprayed all with WD40 plugged it all back in and hey pressto my Bosch foggies now work again! Hooray.
I was trying to think how they would have all come unplugged lke that in the first place and it suddenly dawned on me what must have happened. Months and months ago I remember being in a carpark with the Spirit and parking the car over one of those concrete bollards that stop you actually driving any further forward. Returning to the car I had 4 people with me, what I never saw driving forward over it initially was the concrete bollard had 2 large pieces of rio coming up out of it about 6 inches out of the top of the bollard. With more people in the car than I had going in initially and reversing out turning the wheel, thus lowering the frount of the car even more, I proceeded to rip the alloy airdam at the bottom of the car off at one side. This in turn pulled the foglight right up the bumper and thus the wiring out of all of its connections. I now remember when I got home I bent the airdam/spoiler back and rescrewed the retaining bolts that had come out. As you all know the front airdams on Spirit 1's are just a piece of flimsy alloy anyway so there was no real damage. It looked very un sighlty though before I pushed and bent it all back.
What I overlooked was what caused the 'nil fogs light' issue 6 months ago......... anyway now all recitified and foggies working. Quite self-satisified I went to bed last night with a real DIY sense of achievement. :-)

J