New battery Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » New battery « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian Crump
Frequent User
Username: brian_crump

Post Number: 78
Posted on Saturday, 26 June, 2010 - 09:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The car in question is my 1993 Spirit II. I have been using an NRMA battery which recently has shown signs of failure after 2 years. This morning I replaced it with a new Bosch. Now here is the interesting point - on the new battery the motor idles smoother and the electrics operate better (windows quicker etc). The explanation from the auto electrician is that the NRMA battery was unable to meet the demand despite being nominally of the correct rating.
I did not expect to find such a significant difference in the idle or the heater fan speed - but there it is.
Regards,
Brian Crump

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2151
Posted on Saturday, 26 June, 2010 - 13:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I assume that they checked the charging system. It sounds dodgy, however.

By the way, I hate to badmouth brands, but the NRMA ones do have a poor reputation. The batteries in these cars should last a very, very long time. For example, the one in my R-Type was 20 yeas old and running a little weak. I can hardly complain about that. The one in my Turbo R, a Swiss battery, was 11 years old and quite fine even at -20C. As I rely on the Turbo R daily, for good measure I bought a new battery recently. It is an American Century battery, a brand that I can recommend. There is absolutely no noticeable difference mind you. The 11-year-old one went into the R-Type, and is as good as new. The one in our T-Series is 15 years old, and never gives any trouble. In fact, I left the T’ parked with its headlamps on high beam for 2½ hours last Tuesday morning. It started fine, and charged at a high rate for most of the week, settling down finally to normal towards the end of the trip from Sydney to Canberra last night. That's a sign of a really good battery.

RT.

Brian Crump
Frequent User
Username: brian_crump

Post Number: 79
Posted on Saturday, 26 June, 2010 - 14:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes.
The charging rate is fine.
Yes, it does sound like the old battery was dodgy.
Regards,
Brian

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 612
Posted on Saturday, 26 June, 2010 - 17:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

LMAO -

Brian, it is indeed surprising what a difference a poor battery can make. It was bad enough with early Spirits with their CDL etc, but now with electronic engine management etc it sends all sorts of gremlins into the works.

The new Nipondensa type starters are a pleasure and a pain in that way. They will happily crank an engine with a faulty/low battery - so you get no real indication how bad the battery really is.

Most fault finders start with "check battery voltage" & R-R even put a box on the service voucher book to ensure testing.