Taking doors off/ dismantling doors f... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Taking doors off/ dismantling doors for painting « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Daniel Diewerge
New User
Username: didi13109

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, 04 June, 2010 - 00:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all,

well, from a technical standpoint, my Bentley 8 is almost done, I changed the 4 spheres, some brake pipes, all the brake hoses, the two braided high pressure hoses, front exhaust downpipes and olives, rebuilt the transmission, replaced the parking brake cables, new tires, new windshield, hydraulic pump O-rings, all the LHM hoses …and so on…

I had planned to give it just a quick paint job but as we all know, one thing leads to another and now I have a car stripped to bare metal in my garage and I want to do it right the first time. I will prepare the body and lay down the first coat of primer and then a professional car painter will take over.

As I will have the color changed from white to brewster green, I’ll have to paint the door jambs as well. How hard is it to take off and refit the doors, especially the front ones?
And should I really take off the window frames/ side glass etc. ? The window mechanism looks quite intimidating to me and I fear that I will not be able to refit it properly.

Any suggestion is highly welcome! Thanks a lot!

Adrian Jump
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 195.195.190.4
Posted on Tuesday, 08 June, 2010 - 17:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Daniel, The door glass weather seals/bright trim will simply lift up about 1/4 of an inch to move it away from the door panel so it can be painted without leaving a hard paint edge. I would suggest you let your body shop do the priming also as the finished result will only be as good as the prep, you need a good etch primer correctly applied with no moisture present in the air(etch primer is moisture sensitive). A primer surfacer can then be applied over that.

Best regards, Adrian

(Message approved by david_gore)

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2144
Posted on Wednesday, 09 June, 2010 - 16:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

quote:

The door glass weather seals/bright trim will simply lift up about 1/4 of an inch to move it away from the door panel so it can be painted

Incidentally, the metal strip with the seal attached is quaintly called the Fence Rail or the Fence Moulding. On cars from SZ chassis 8305 onwards, it is indeed adjustable, and may be slid upwards or downwards.

See http://rrtechnical.info/sz/sz87/s1.pdf

Read page S4-9 and see drawing S4-4.

On cars from SZ 8305 onwards, the fence rail may be lifted on its elongated mounts in a few seconds. Pop rivets through nylon bushes allow the fence rail to lift upwards in the elongated fence rail mounting holes specifically to paint underneath. Nice.

RT.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2145
Posted on Wednesday, 09 June, 2010 - 16:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

ps: I replaced a Fence Rail on my Turbo R a few years back. Some blighter in an SUV dented it in an airport carpark.

It was not a difficult job really, and only needed a regular pop riveter. Er. Well. That was once the drop glass and the entire window mechanism was removed….