Turbo Alternator Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Spirit Series » Threads to 2015 » Turbo Alternator « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

James Feller
Prolific User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 144
Posted on Wednesday, 19 May, 2010 - 16:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All,

I just had my alternator rebuilt. New bearings, regulator and connection switches. The reason, I had been getting some weird signals from the volt meter guage. It would be normal and then flick completely off the guage into full charge mode.... yes very scary, I was terrified it would blow something up. Anyway I thought I would share this with the forum as the car did not stop or splutter but this was an intermittant thing that started a while ago and started to become more regular. The catalyst for me doing something about it was a battery light flickering on last week...
The rebuild was very reasonable I thought $500.
Just so all are aware watch the volt guage occasionally.
Ohhhh and my mechanic did tell me to stop getting and alkaline degreaser near the alternator as he noticed some very bad corrosion on the alloy plug pins that would not have help the poor old alternator....
anyway its holding 14.5 volts steady as a rock now so thats one less thing to worry about.

CHeers

J

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 952
Posted on Thursday, 20 May, 2010 - 07:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

James,

I have a practice of never using alkaline engine cleaners especially where the engine bay contains light alloy components as the degreaser changes their appearance for the worse due to the corrosion.

I just spray the engine bay with kerosene, let it stand for 10 minutes and then spray the entire bay with a heavy duty truckwash detergent concentrate, let it soak for another 10 minutes before hosing off and "drip drying" with the bonnet[hood] open.

Your engine bay will be pristine.

James Feller
Prolific User
Username: james_feller

Post Number: 145
Posted on Thursday, 20 May, 2010 - 09:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David, hope you are well.

I have a habit of degreasing 'everything'. I will not be so liberal in the future. Yes and I was told to stop using the heavy degreaser I was using and try a more mild detergent as its kinder to the under bonnet alloys so thats what I will do. I like my engine bays pristine as you say!

Cheers

J

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 953
Posted on Friday, 21 May, 2010 - 08:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi James,

Hopefully it not be too much longer before I am able to be more involved in Club activities again. I miss these get-togethers.

I use CT18 truckwash from Chemtech - it has a wetting agent incorporated in it that stops water-spotting if you let the wet surface air-dry.