Oh-Oh ... More Trouble! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Oh-Oh ... More Trouble! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jan Forrest
Prolific User
Username: got_one

Post Number: 129
Posted on Saturday, 01 May, 2010 - 01:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Although I managed to get The Old Girl (SRH24518) through the emissions test on LPG she was way high on petrol even though I'd got them down well below the pass standard the previous day.
On the assumption that the plug leads were failing I sourced and fitted a new set. After exhaustive testing I can now say that cylinders A2, A3 and B1 are not contributing to any detectable degree and B4 isn't doing much either. I know this should indicate a problem with the 'B side' carb, but it's just the same when running on LPG! Unfortunately, this being Blighty, rain has stopped play for the third consecutive day and I'm currently trying to dry out in front of the computer with the central heating set on Warp Factor 6 Since you Antipodeans tend to be awake when we 'Whinging Poms' are tucked up tight for the night I'm hoping that one or more of you could come up with a suggestion or several while I'm getting some beauty sleep (what do you mean 'You definitely need it'?). Other than that I think I'm going to have to strip down the whole induction system to look for any small furry mammals that may have crept in there to get away from the recent frosty weather.

Incidentally; for those in the UK: "Bullseye" Motorists Centres now list a plug lead set for Shadows - at least the 6.75 engine - in their own parts catalogue for the reasonable sum of £(GBP)27.25! Your nearest outlet may not have them in stock, but they can usually get them for you within 24 hours from their local distribution centre. In my case I just had to kick my heels for a little over an hour while they were delivered to the shop. Good service, or what?

Jan Forrest
Prolific User

Post Number: 130
Posted on Saturday, 01 May, 2010 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Oops! Am I red-faced, or what?
Last night, after I marinaded 'ze leedle grey cells' in some ethyl alcohol for a while, I had a thought: "Have I transposed a couple of the plug leads?"
This morning I swapped over A2 and A3 at the distributor end. Elle va! - She goes!!!
Not quite as well as she should, but I put this down to the carburration not being spot on as I must have made alterations to it to get her running at all. Now all I need to do is decide whether to get an expert to put it all right again or go down the DIY route. I may plump for the former as I've let the housework slip over the past couple of weeks while working on The Old Girl and much of it needs to be caught up on quite desperately! It took me a full week to sort out all the door electrics, but at least all the doors lock properly, the windows go down and up again and I've even replaced both front door speakers. Nice.
Oh well: All's well that ends well - Oui?
By the way. Another Pom member (Chris Browne) is actually an old school chum from way back and we've started to get in touch again after over 40 years because of this forum! Small world.

Jan Forrest
Prolific User

Post Number: 173
Posted on Monday, 13 December, 2010 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just a couple of quick questions for future reference:
Can someone please confirm or deny my belief that the a pair of SU HIF8 carburetors is the standard fitment for a 1976 Silver shadow?
Also is there an alternative giving more power or better 'economy'. (Yes. I know. If I'm quibbling about the running costs I shouldn't be running a Rolls Royce I suppose I've just got too much time on my hands)

Jeff Young
Experienced User
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, 13 December, 2010 - 08:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jan,

As far as I'm aware, it should be SU HIF7s, not 8s.

Jeff.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 702
Posted on Monday, 13 December, 2010 - 08:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

HD 8 Non integral on Shadow I
HIF 7 Integral on Shadow II's

LPG conversion if you want economy and you do the mileage to recover the cost.

SU carbs are Brilliant as long as maintained correctly. And they require very little maintenance.

The biggest failing of them according to the R-R manuals is due to "inadvertent disturbances". I just love that phrase!

Extra power AND extra economy is not usually possible :-( Certainly not easily!

Jan Forrest
Prolific User

Post Number: 174
Posted on Monday, 13 December, 2010 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"HD 8 Non integral on Shadow I
HIF 7 Integral on Shadow II's"

What does "integral" mean in this context?

"LPG conversion if you want economy and you do the mileage to recover the cost."

I had The Old Girl converted to LPG over 2 years ago. Although she won't start on it and needs at least half a mile to warm up before she will run on it reliably I'm happy to keep her that was as it means I've still got petrol as a backup in case there's a fault with the gas setup. I don't know how long it will take to recover the installation cost (£1K) as I do barely 3K miles pa in her.

"SU carbs are Brilliant as long as maintained correctly. And they require very little maintenance."

Niiice!

"The biggest failing of them according to the R-R manuals is due to "inadvertent disturbances". I just love that phrase!"

In other words they 'drift' out of adjustment?

"Extra power AND extra economy is not usually possible :-( Certainly not easily!"

That's why asked 'OR', but as I also said: I wuz just wondering

Jeff Young
Experienced User
Username: jeyjey

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, 13 December, 2010 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jan,

Integral means the float chamber is in the body of the carb, rather than in an additional assembly on the side of it.

By "inadvertent" I think they mean they only drift with the help of a hammer, brick wall, etc.

Jeff.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 704
Posted on Tuesday, 14 December, 2010 - 02:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff, not quite something that solid, but maybe as thick ;)

No they rarely drift and only need adjusting at different altitudes or fuels, or occasionally seasonal, but never by much at all.

They are pretty bombproof but unfortunately they are not fool-proof! It was R-R's polite way of saying they only need adjusting if somebody goes out of their way to f**k them up.