Two Peoples Divided by a 'Common' Lan... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Two Peoples Divided by a 'Common' Language? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jan Forrest
Prolific User
Username: got_one

Post Number: 122
Posted on Saturday, 20 March, 2010 - 08:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've just been re-reading a couple of the latest copies of 'T-Topics' and a sentence in the article on working on the cylinder liners struck my eye:

"Instructions are that these
be placed in the groves with palmolive
grease which translates to good old
Vaseline."

I am aware that some common items sold in our respective countries go by different names and, conversely, different items can have the same name. Confusing, what? In this case, here in Blighty, 'palmolive' is a brand of mild toilet soap based on palm oil and olive oil; both obviously vegetable oils. On the other hand 'Vaseline' is a brand name for a petroleum based cream which has a variety of uses on the human body and elsewhere (eg. waterproofing electrical joints such as car battery terminals or baby's bum after a nappy change).
I know that some seal materials aren't too fussed about the difference between vegetable and petroleum based oils/greases, but as we all know from the RR363/LHM debacle, some most decidedly are!
I sincerely trust that the 'palmolive' and 'vaseline' greases are either much the same as each other down under or that these seals are as happy in vegetable as petroleum based lubricants otherwise ...