Hmmmmmm Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Hmmmmmm « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Paul Dabrowski
Experienced User
Username: shabbyshadow2

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, 15 March, 2010 - 02:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gentlemen, Advice needed. SRH35979 - SS2
Yesterday in traffic, I had an unusual thing happen. The speedo needle jumped up and down several times and made a ticking sound. This happened twice. Then at the traffic lights, I could feels the revs drop and the car stalled. It cranked normally, but took a long time to fire.It idled ok, but then stalled and I coasted to the curb. I left the car for 1/2 hour and it started fine. I drove into a side street which has an incline and then the car stalled after making some rattling noises from the engine which I suspect was fuel starvation. I suspect i need a fuel pump, or at least change the filter which is fine, but what I can't work out is why the speedo acted like that. I know a Shadow 2 has an electric speedo. Anyway, the towtruck ride home was fun! Comments?

Colin Silver
Prolific User
Username: colsilver

Post Number: 128
Posted on Monday, 15 March, 2010 - 03:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Paul. I know nothing of how many fuel filters are in your car - but I bet it is more than one.

My late Father in Law had his car serviced per manufacturers recommendations. It was always done at a Toyota dealership.

The Cressida was about 10 years old when he complained to me of problems like yours (not the speedo though).

A drive around the block and up hills pointed to fuel starvation.

Sure enough, I found a metal filter hidden at the rear. On hose removal, a metal gauze type cap showed years of build up. Problem solved. He still let that dealership do his services.... sigh

I'd be hunting for a secondary fuel filter. Good luck and I hope this is your problem.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 551
Posted on Monday, 15 March, 2010 - 06:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul, you should have taken the fuel feed hose off under the bonnet while the problem was apparent.

Also look at oil pressure switches next to the oil filter. If you have two, swap them over and see if the car will now run and if the oil pressure light flickers instead in the same situation. (fuel pump cut out if low ol pressure)

As long as you don't have a USA type fuel tank (inj) In the boot, as far right and as far forward , there is a rubber bung under the floor carpet. You can test for an electrical feed through it ( and also give the pump a hit ), Remember the electrical feed is only there when oil pressure is up!

Julian Moreno
Experienced User
Username: morenoj

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, 15 March, 2010 - 06:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul I will tell my own experience in the same problem that happened to me some years ago in a highway far from mi home... I spent about four hours looking for the problem and at last, I know what happen to my car. Try this because the simptoms are the same, the same noise at the speedo, the same way to stall....It was the fuel pump, but not exactly.., it was the relay of the fuel pump, but not exacly...It was that the oil pressure sender that tell the fuel pump relay that no pressure in the oil, then stopped the fuel pump to prevent engine run.
What I do...well, I live in Spain, difficult to have a RR, no mechanical at all, no experience, well I know I have pressure sure in my car because if not I havent engine because I make a lot of kilometers starting and stalling the car,then, in the fuel pump relay I took out the wire that comes from the oil pressure sender, in my car the right upper wires of the relay, and the car stopped the rattle sound in the speedo and works perfect.....but the fuel pump runs continuisly in the moment you turn the key..Then...try to change the oil pressure sender if you want to save your car.
I hope and wish that could help, please let me know if its works.
Regards to all from Spain
Julian
SSII SRK 36623

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 552
Posted on Monday, 15 March, 2010 - 07:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Julian,

Personally I dislike the feature and prefer the pump to run with ignition, it was supposed to make it safer in the case of an accident, but is a real PITA.

The same switch also controls the air con clutch delay, so it is a good idea to have it working, but maybe bridge the fuel pump relay as a long term fix.

Shadow II's (most) energise the pump whilst cranking, but some cars only energise when oil pressure is high enough. If you leave your Shadow or Camargue, Corniche, carb Spirit standing - and you then have to crank for 15 or 20 seconds before she catches, this is usually the cause.

Julian Moreno
Experienced User
Username: morenoj

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, 15 March, 2010 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Paul Yorke,excuse me, but your first awnser to Paul Dabrowski, arrives while I was writting my post, and I havent read it.
Glad to hear that bridgering the relay nothing happen, better, because sometimes I put this wires in place, and again happen my problem.
Please can you tell me who I can bridge the relay, I only take out the wire, but if you say that goes with the aircon delay I prefer this way.
My car is USA spec.
Thank you
Julian