Silver Shadow LWB Rear Windows Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Silver Shadow LWB Rear Windows « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tony Edward
Yet to post message
Username: alhedward

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, 03 March, 2010 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have a LWB SILVER SHADOW AU compliance date 2/75 with VIN LRH19068

I have been informed that LWB versions only came with a small rear window.

This one has a large rear window and the rear pillars look identical to a Standard Silver Shadow.

Can anyone shed any light on this anomaly?

Brian Carson
Experienced User
Username: brian_carson

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, 03 March, 2010 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I recall someone actually telling me these were called a Wraith, effectively a LWB Shadow. I know this doesnt answer your question Tony but it may help in your research.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2066
Posted on Wednesday, 03 March, 2010 - 01:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry, Brian, it is a Silver Wraith II you are thinking of, not a Wraith. The Wraith is the last prewar small HP R-R. Introduced at SY Chassis 30,000 along with the Silver Shadow II, the Silver Wraith II is a renamed LWB Silver Shadow.

Indeed, some LWB Silver Shadow and Silver Wraith II cars have the full-sized standard SY rear screen. Usually, but not always, the full-sized screen is accompanied by having no division. Mind you, I do prefer the small screen, but only with a painted roof and no division.

RT.

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User
Username: omar

Post Number: 116
Posted on Thursday, 04 March, 2010 - 04:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Tony,
It was my understanding that the Shadow ones were available with either small rear screen or standard size screen with or without Everflex. The Shadow IIs were also available in LWB form and were called Silver Wraith II. It is also my understanding that all Wraith IIs were fitted with small rear screen and everflex as standard. There are very few Silver Wraith IIs that have either been originally specified with large rear screen or have been converted to the large rear screen version.
I converted one of my Wraith IIs to a large rear screen model only because I detest Everflex and the state of my Everflex was shocking anyway. The conversion is not simple. If you remove the Everflex from a small screen model car, the rear screen is not finished properly and looks out of place. There is no chrome strip or any other way of completing the look around the screen. Hence my deceision to go to the trouble of converting to the large rear screen.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 2068
Posted on Thursday, 04 March, 2010 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

Agreed on everflex. I saw from your earlier posts about the conversion, and of the way Crewe/PS installed the small screen. Bush Mechanics we call it. It is quite a giggle really.

By contrast, I have considered converting my SWB Turbo R rear screen to a smaller one. The drawback is that it would be a project which would take the car off the road for a few weeks.

I'm sure that you could have ordered whatever you wanted concerning Everflex and window size, but the guideline seemed to be that few cars with divisions have large rear screens or painted roofs. The cynics say that the Everflex roof is there to hide appalling roofwork on the LWB conversion, but many who have rid their cars of Everflex proclaim otherwise. Food for thought.

Incidentally, the SY LWB carbodies started life as a SWB and were extended. The quality of the roof finish under some Everflex tops is a little alarming. By contrast, SZ LWBs like the Silver Spur have a bespoke long wheelbase carbody rather than just being an extended SWB. That's why so many SZs have painted roofs, and I always wondered why Crewe allowed any of its cars to look like 1970s Holden upmarket pretenders with their so-called hardtops (Everflex).

RHT.

Shane Atherton
Experienced User
Username: shane_atherton

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, 04 March, 2010 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello all,
My car, LRH 8376 was ordered "no everflex to roof" and is fitted with the full size rear window as per standard saloons.
I have attached the car specification sheet from the build records I have acquired. Under the paint colour section it is typed NO EVERFLEX to ROOF (if you can make it out, small pic)
Also a link to some pics and a short youtube clip if you are interested.
http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii273/DB351/LRH%208376/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSyJ3ns8LGU
Regards
Shane

Brian Carson
Experienced User
Username: brian_carson

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, 04 March, 2010 - 01:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank You Richard, My thoughts came out of my head quicker than I could type as a result I did'nt infact include the "silver" or the "II" to the Wraith but I was aware it was intentially called something other than the Shadow LWB. Its interesting to hear the comments on everflex roofs, In general are they a sought after feature or are they more a concern? I see few of them, if any, in Australia but many in the UK. Were they fitted for any real purpose other than decorative?

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User

Post Number: 117
Posted on Sunday, 07 March, 2010 - 01:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,
I am amazed at your bravery to consider fitting a smaller rear window to your Turbo R. What an awful lot of hard work. What will you do for a suitable smaller windscreen with the corrcet curvature? what rubber will you use? what method of finishing will you select? When I did mine I had a huge job matching the interior colour and I am still not happy with the outcome.
Good luck on that one mate.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master

Post Number: 2069
Posted on Monday, 08 March, 2010 - 07:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar, I probably shalln't do it, at least for now as I drive the car daily and about 5,000km monthly, but I do think that they look great. Maybe one day.

Look at 2 minutes 24 seconds into this video:

http://rrtechnical.info/miscellaneous/bentleys.wmv

I would either look for the standad small window or find something generic with a suitable curve. The auto glass people here can cut a larger one down. As to the finish, the headlining on mine is Magnolia hide, and the new part would be easily finished in that.

It's just an idea for now.

RHT.

StevenBrown
Frequent User
Username: stevenbrown

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, 10 March, 2010 - 05:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Everflex was optional on the Shadow II and in the US/Can lots around without. I've never seen a Wraith II without. I know you could delete the smaller rear opera-style window with the latter.Not 100% if you could delete Everflex with Wraith II. I want a Wraith II, but not crazy about Everflex. My Spur LWB, one of the reasons I bought her over a much newer model at the time was she has the Everflex delete option! On my list of must own cars at least once in life is a Shadow II. Despite liking the smaller opera style window, its not enough to cancel out my preference for no Everflex. Hence my lack of not jumping on my Dads friends offer--straight trade my Spur for his low miles mint all original one owner Wraith II! I'm also have a semi dislike for white wall tires on Spurs and Shadows! :-)

(Message edited by stevenbrown on 10 March 2010)

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User

Post Number: 119
Posted on Thursday, 11 March, 2010 - 02:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Steve,
I have seen at least 5 Silver Wraith IIs without Everflex and larger rear screen (mine being one of them). If you hate Everlflex that much, you can always delete it (like I have done). My previous Shadow II also had Everflex which I had removed. The car looked much tidier after. There is nothing worse than faded dirty, torn and bubly Everflex. I would rather not have the car under these circumstances.
Have you seen the images of my conversion to the larger screen elsewhere on this forum?

StevenBrown
Frequent User
Username: stevenbrown

Post Number: 53
Posted on Thursday, 11 March, 2010 - 04:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

Should point out not seen them in North America, Canada and the United States. Living part time in both countries, so watch for them in both. Silver Shadow II's, more available and Everflex was an option most opted not to have. So its also easier to find a clean original Shadow II over a Wraith II as well. I like the smaller window, sets the style apart from others. Id go for removing the Everflex if an otherwise nice car! Most Everflex on cars do have more visible wear and tear, so do like the tidier look. I'll probably have my Seraph daily driver before a Shadow though.