Shadow 2 starting problem Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Shadow 2 starting problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Harry Kuurio
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 80.186.90.172
Posted on Friday, 05 March, 2004 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all!

I moved over to here as the Swammelstein tech page is down for some reason.

The car is a '78 Shadow 2, LHD SRG32569. Won't get it turning the starter after some work.

The starter itself is ok; tried feeding current to the solenoid and the starter turned happily.

Checked starter relay & choke-on-start relay wiring: ok, and there's voltage from the ammeter shunt to the relay(s).

But there's no live feed from the starter key (ignition box) to the starter relay when turning to "start". Petrol pump is also inoperative. All I get when turning the key to "start" is a 'click' from a (?) relay somewhere around the fuseboard/radio console area. It's really difficult to locate, so I'm asking for help if anyone should have had similar problems...

Fuse number 2 is ok.

The 'click' is the same whether I have "P" or "N" or even "D". I have checked the console selector switch and it is ok. The gears are also changing, I can hear the motor operating on each select.

Any ideas?

Harry

Martin Taylor
Frequent User
Username: martin_taylor

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, 06 March, 2004 - 05:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mine suffered from a similar problem which turned out to be corroded wiring at the plug for the gear change actuator, water had somehow entered it and this caused the inhibitor circuit to fail (intermittently). The plug can be unscrewed and will almost reach the door sill for testing (once one of the wiring clamps has been removed).
On a shadow one there is also a starter relay in the circuit that can be tested by applying 12v to the coil, this is located below the cruise bellows.

Dwayne Kennemore
Frequent User
Username: dkennemo

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, 25 March, 2004 - 01:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm having starting problems too: when I turn the key I just hear a >click<. Now, I tried to turn the engine by hand but it will not budge one millimeter and I'm using a 20" lever! I'm thinking the starter motor must have engaged the ring gear and never disengaged so that's holding up the works. At least I hope so otherwise that means my engine's locked up! Any ideas here? Anyone encounter a similar problem?

Thanks

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 231
Posted on Thursday, 25 March, 2004 - 02:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dwayne, it would be unusual for the starter pinion to jam the flywheel unless it has disintegrated and a piece has lodged between the flywheel and the bell housing or inside the starter motor nose housing.

Suggest you remove the starter motor and check it out first including a "no-load" run test from a battery [Careful you must properly restrain the starter in a heavy duty well-secured vice as the torque reaction is rather vicious].

Did you remove the spark plugs before trying to turn the engine over by hand? Unless you have a suitable drive dog to fit the fanbelt pulley retaining bolt; it is not easy to turn the engine over against compression [especially the 9:1 engines] hence the importance of removing the spark plugs first. With the plugs out, it is usually possible to turn the engine over by hand using the fan belts.

If the engine will not turn over, the starter pinion is not intact and there is no obstruction in the starter motor nose; you will have to drop the auto transmission to check the flywheel bellhousing for obstructions from the failed pinion.

Hopefully this should be as far as you need to go unless you have a major internal failure in the engine as well.

(Message edited by david_gore on March 25, 2004)

Graeme Söderlund
Frequent User
Username: graemeaus

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, 26 March, 2004 - 04:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

All,

I recently had the same problem - couldn't turn the engine etc. and a dead short in the system whichhad run the battery flat.

Did all the usual things, checked connections, found a lot of wires that had been snipped and left unshielded etc.

Still a dead short!

Steve Sparks came to the rescue and called in to check out the electrical system. The dead short was there and was cutting the battery from 12 volts to 6 when trying to start the car. All we were getting was the constant click!

Investigation showed it was...a jammed starter!

Steve freed it by using a large screw driver and turning the motor over.

It does happen - generally when the battery is a bit low and there is insufficient power to throw the starter into mesh.

Regards,

Graeme.

Bill Coburn
Grand Master
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 121
Posted on Friday, 26 March, 2004 - 07:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The solution would be to fit a Nipondenso starter which the Factory adopted in 1987 production. Price from the Factory some AUD1300 but from British Starters USD300. Their web site is www.BritishStarters.com