Restore or replace interior work? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Restore or replace interior work? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dwayne Kennemore
Frequent User
Username: dkennemo

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, 17 February, 2004 - 02:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Two interior questions:

I don't know whether to replace or have refurbished the aged interior on my Silver Shadow. The leather is only cracked in spots - i.e., the front armrests, one pleat on the rear seat, but whoever last owned the car did a horrible job of redyeing the seats - the red dye often comes off on passengers' clothes (although it comes out in the wash, no problem.) What is the process for fixing this? How can I tell if refurbishing is good enough or will last?

Second: I've heard there's leather available from a German concern that is like Connolly in every respect except it is of more consistently high quality. Does anyone know what type of hides are most preferred now that the Connolly tannery is no longer among the solvent?

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 195.93.33.11
Posted on Tuesday, 17 February, 2004 - 09:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To retrim a Shadow to a proper standard costs £6000 plus in the UK.

To redye the exsisting leather is not a problem.

The leather will need to be removed from the car.

Then follow the instructions supplied with dye.

I did mine about 12 years ago ( grey ) and I removed the exsisting dye with cellouse thinners and then sprayed the dye on and then sprayed a fixer over the top and it still looks nice and has that lovely sat on look--- patina.

It took 30 hours to do and cost £60 DIY.

Methods vary from KIT to KIT

Connolly leather is not the best it is just one of the best. I would not be able to tell the difference. Also Connolly seems to have become a type of leather rather than a makers name.

Carpet sets are available for £200. These are not Wilton and are piped in PVC. They are rot proof and very convincing.

Bob Uk
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, 17 February, 2004 - 09:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Forgot.

The cracks -- NOT splits --- need feeding with hide food.

I use dubbin to keep leather nice.

Chelsea dubbin from sports shops for football boots --- £1.60 enough for 2 applications.

I use lots leave over night and then buff -- once a month. Work into stitching.

Also have been told that lanolin is good for cracks.

Dwayne Kennemore
Frequent User
Username: dkennemo

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, 18 February, 2004 - 01:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Bob - tell me, where can I get the carpet? My car doesn't really need it necessarily but if I redo the interior I might as well. Is it cut to fit the car or will I need to do that? Who is the supplier?

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, 21 February, 2004 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The company is called Coverdale Carpets they have a web site. But they may not trade outside the UK.

However there always is a company in every country that does the same.

The carpets are ready cut to fit piped in PVC with a heel pad.

The only thing you have to do is fit the poppers to hold them down. This is easy and requires no special tools.

The boot set is extra.

I would prefer the genuine but they are about £1000. and are not rot proof.

My car has four flat bits for the feet and 2 bits up the side of the centre consul 1 piece over the tranny tunnel and 1 piece around the rear seat which is glued.

The carpets up the outside of the front foot wells I replaced with matching vynal about 12 years ago -- not original but practical. I live in a rural area ---- lots of mud.

The carpets on the bottom of the door are in good nick so when I did the leather I allowed the over spray of the leather dye to sort of drift over the carpet so it matches.

If your exsisting carpest are good then you can use a cold dye of the same colour to freshen them up. I use Dylon. I have never done my car because the carpets are good.

It is surprising what can be achieved with little money and elbow grease.

Biggest killer of car carpets is grit and damp.

My best one to date is I took the roof lining out of my van sprayed is with oil based grey undercoat and it looks like new. very pleased and it cost a £1. I year later still good.

Gabriël Viljoen
New User
Username: gabriel

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, 14 April, 2004 - 06:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dwayne
I faced the same decision. My leather was in a poor state, and hard. I took it to a leather shop and asked their opinion. They said I should have it redyed as fitting new leather would be over capitalizing. With the redying they stripped the old dye and started with the bare leather. It costed me around GBP 400 (converted from South African Rand). This included 5 bottles of "Connolly Hide Care". The leather looks like new. It is still hard, but the Hide Care does an amazing job - I tested it on a small piece - which is soft now. I will apply a thick layer of this to all the leather over the weekend - it really does soften the leather. I did not notice any dye coming off this far.

I am VERY happy with the outcome. It was well worth the trouble! And, removing all the leather wasn't that difficult at all!