Rear seat head rests Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Rear seat head rests « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Barry Brears
Experienced User
Username: turney_2009

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, 26 November, 2009 - 06:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All,Re SBH 17291 BENTLEY T1,were head rests on rear seats fitted as standard if not please advise I would like to obtain a couple .

Regards Barry

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 493
Posted on Thursday, 26 November, 2009 - 08:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Barry,

They were optional for many years and many countries.

Do you have the two holes each side in the top of your seats for them to slot into?

What colour interior and year is your car?

I'll probably have some.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2028
Posted on Friday, 27 November, 2009 - 09:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

http://rrtechnical.info/ChassisNumbers/7RRBChassisNumbersBooklet.pdf

You will see that rear headrest / head restraint mounts were standard from Chassis 16,000. Australian compliance had already earlier required that the rear head restraints be fitted for safety reasons. In the past at least, although they may have backed off, Australian authorities insisted that rear head restraints be retrofitted to all secondhand imports.

The front head restraints were compulsory in Australia from 1972, with only the small block-type approved. The optional UK ones were illegal in Australia. I know of a certain Silver Shadow imported privately to Canberra by a club member in around 1984. That car had its front seats painstakingly rebuilt to accept the approved front head restraints, and replica approved restraints were manufactured to pattern from a certain Canberra T-Series locally. That Silver Shadow also had its non-compliant Sundym windscreen replaced, and famously in desperation its vanity mirror was smashed and removed for final compliance at the ACT test.

Barry Brears
Experienced User
Username: turney_2009

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, 27 November, 2009 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Paul and Richard,The last time I looked there were no holes,so I guess I'm out of the running.

Barry