Rattling Seat Belt - Help Please! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Rattling Seat Belt - Help Please! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dale Mattson
Experienced User
Username: wookieecantina

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, 29 September, 2009 - 02:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Your expertise is once again needed here in the states.
I have a 1976 Shadow, very nice condition, but the right front seat belt is rattling. Every little bump or jar and the latch mechanism rattles loudly as though something is broken inside.
The belt works nicely, released and locks properly, but something inside has gone astray.
Have any of you experienced this and if so, did you find a remedy?
I removed the belt but the head appears to be permanently sealed using a melting type cement. I'm very hesitant on trying to force it open as I'm sure it will crack.
YOUR WISDOM IS APPRECIATED!
Thank you all so much.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 439
Posted on Tuesday, 29 September, 2009 - 04:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dale - replace it.

Some things are not to be messed with.

Used ones are fairly cheap. New ones can be made with your current tongue fitted so it will fit the existing stalk.

Even better - get a new pair with webbing that matches your interior :-)

Dale Mattson
Experienced User

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, 30 September, 2009 - 02:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Paul,
Thank you so much!
I'll start searching about for a used stalk. Its really quite amazing how something so small can produce such a voluminous amount of noise, rather like castanets or windup clacking teeth.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 440
Posted on Wednesday, 30 September, 2009 - 02:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dale,

So it is the stalk that if faulty, not the reel?

If you have no luck getting one in the US, send a drawing with dimensions etc.

There are many slightly different variations unfortunately.

Cheers, Paul.

Dale Mattson
Experienced User

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, 30 September, 2009 - 03:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Paul,
Oh yes, that was my fault for using the incorrect terminology.
It is the stalk that is rattling about, it features the push button release with the orange sticker applied to the release button.
Sounds as though a spring has perhaps broke inside and the tension on the inside components isn't quite strong enough keep it from making noise. The plastic housing increases the volume, much like a drum skin.
I'll call one of our RR bone yards today, there is a shop in Los Angeles which tends to stock a number of items. They're just incredibly costly. Probably used to dealing with those high dollar Hollywood people:-)
Thank you again Paul!

John Shostrom
Frequent User
Username: silvawraith2

Post Number: 99
Posted on Wednesday, 30 September, 2009 - 04:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As a matter of interest, I encountered the same thing with my previous 1976 long wheelbase Shadow LRE25318 and it was remedied by every so slightly bend the stalk away from the centre console, which was causing the rattling problem.

Dale Mattson
Experienced User

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, 30 September, 2009 - 04:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks John,
Good suggestion, thanks! I'll check that, perhaps it was bouncing against the console. I did remove the stalk and when you shake it bit, you can hear a push button rattling about, but you know, the console could really be a major factor.
Thank you!
I really love this forum, it's helped me tremendously with my Shadow

Jeffrey McCarthy
Prolific User
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 166
Posted on Wednesday, 30 September, 2009 - 09:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dale, your description of rattling teeth was evocative. Since I put my car back together I have had what sounds like a staccato electrical or mechanical tapping noise - always in reverse and frequently while accelerating.

I just got under the car and discovered that I'd wound the bolt holding the seat-belt stalk in too tight and it was touching the drive shaft!

I'd thought I'd managed to get some soundproofing matter into the transmission so this was a BIG relief to discover.

Perhaps this is not your problem but your description helped solve mine. It's worth checking anyway.

My advice for what it's worth is to replace the seat belts. They're not all that expensive and they might save your life (or your good looks) one day.

cheers,

Jeff

(Message edited by jefmac2003 on 30 September 2009)

Dale Mattson
Experienced User

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, 30 September, 2009 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jeff,
Thank you very much!
Wow, it's really amazing just how tight the tolerances are these vehicles.
I'll be really careful re-installing a new unit, I appreciate your advise regarding the bolt touching the transmission. Thank you!
I'm looking around now for a new unit, you're right, looks as though aftermarket units aren't too pricey, but they just don't match the opposing side, so I may change both.
As you say, better safe than sorry.
Thanks again!

Jeffrey McCarthy
Prolific User

Post Number: 167
Posted on Wednesday, 30 September, 2009 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My mistake Dale was to put all the seatbelt bolts etc. in the same container for safekeeping while I worked - the bolts that go into the B pillar at the top are the longer ones (same thread and cap) and the ones that go into the floor tunnel are the shorter ones. Naturally when the time came to put them back I didn't notice this.

Live and learn. Incidentally has anyone ever found the semi-mythical chrome seatbelt buckles?

I'll be replacing mine in the not-too-distant future and would like to get hold of pair at least for the front.

Dale Mattson
Experienced User

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, 30 September, 2009 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jeff,
The bolt issue is very good to know! Little things like that make a huge difference when working on these cars and oh my gosh, it's just so easy to damage pieces if one isn't careful. I've learned that the hard way:-)
I just changed both or the EGR valves with exact looking GM duplicates and the car kept stalling and we couldn't figure out why. Turns out the EGR valves look identical and bolt right in, perfectly, but they're too weak for the vacuum pressure the RR engine produces and the open too much, stalling the engine.
Well, lesson well learned! Our local RR mechanic helped my diagnose the issue, thank goodness for pros!
No, I've never seen the chrome buckles, but they sound really nice.
I found some nice universal, cable units which looked really nice, but I'd love to find some original 'Kangol' brand # 4271
Thanks again Jeff!

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 441
Posted on Wednesday, 30 September, 2009 - 05:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeffery, are the chrome buckles etc. you are looking for the ones that were fitted on earlier cars. The centre stalk was just loose webbing with a chrome 'aircraft' type buckle. Clouds and early Shadows used them.

The cable mounted buckles are much more convenient.

We can get a mixture of Chrome and new inertia reel in the UK, so are very lucky!

If you're going for new belts then go for webbing that matches the interior colour - much more luxurious.

Chrome Buckles

Jeffrey McCarthy
Prolific User

Post Number: 168
Posted on Wednesday, 30 September, 2009 - 09:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul - I want to keep the cable-mount type (stalk) because they also come in a 450mm length which is better for short people (and no inconvenenience for the tall). In fact they're more ergonomic all round as you note.

So, instead of searching for Cloud/early Shadow ones I'd rather new chrome.

Murphy predicts of course that the ones available in the UK will be .0076mm narrower than Australian & NZ standards (yes - all measurements and standards have been equalised downunder - kinda like EU lite).

From what I understand seatbelts were always fitted in the country of destination because there weren't standardised standards back in the '70s.

Any chance of a link to the specs on the ones in the photo Paul?: Google come up with nothing available down here. Perhaps an Australian who does this stuff all the time might know a secret though?

I've found a supplier of coloured webbing down here so that's no problem. From what I can tell my inertia reels are fine - do they degenerate over time?

John Shostrom
Frequent User

Post Number: 100
Posted on Wednesday, 30 September, 2009 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeffrey, to clarify things, in my case the movement of the stalk is what caused the rattling. When I bent the stalk ever so slightly, the problem ceased and I ran the car for another 50,000 miles until I got the next car.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 910
Posted on Thursday, 01 October, 2009 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jeffrey,

Back in the 1970's, the major suppliers were Britax and Wibroc however Britax no longer makes seatbelts and Wibroc became part of Repco.

Try the following links - you might find what you want:

http://www.autolivaftermarket.com/pr-replacement2.asp

http://www.hemco.com.au/seatbelts.html

(Message edited by david_gore on 01 October 2009)

Paul Yorke
Grand Master

Post Number: 445
Posted on Thursday, 01 October, 2009 - 04:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeffery, the inertia reels tend to work well for years.

If they lock up as you're pulling them out, or do not retract quickly and fully, the replace them.

Tip for the day - make sure that your belts have tongue stops fitted that keep the tongue up by the top mount when at rest. Also that the belt retracts fully and quickly. If the tongue is allowed to sit lower it will either catch in the door damaging paintwork and trim, or will knock on the wood leaving little chips in the woodwork. :-(

John Shostrom
Prolific User

Post Number: 101
Posted on Thursday, 01 October, 2009 - 04:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good advice, Paul. I've seen so many cars with dinged woodwork and even saw one where a careless driver let go of the strap and the buckle hit the door window hard, cracking it!