SRH 18294 Time to think about an eng... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » SRH 18294 Time to think about an engine rebuild. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nigel Ralph
New User
Username: nigel_ralph

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, 21 September, 2009 - 08:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi All
It's been a while since I've asked for advice but I am thinking that, though my old girl is looking so stately (thanks to a repaint and woodwork makeover), and travelling so well (thanks to hydraulics etc been redone), the oil continues to leak from old cork rocker covers etc.

I am aware that there are gaps in the old girl's history where maintenance was probably neglected and so I have come to the conclusion that if I want her to continue until my driving days are finished then I should get the engine totally redone.
HOw is this best done?
Up here in the Whitsundays my mechanic friend has suggested getting a short motor, but I suspect he doesn't want my car taking up space in his garage for an extended period.
Has anyone gone though the exercise? Any idea of costs?
I had the opportunity of purchasing a good running motor for $7k not so long ago but chose to put the money towards my repaint. I would also like to keep my SRH18295 numbers on whatever I can.

I'm driving her south to Brisbane (1000km) again tomorrow and will be returning in about two weeks so the pressure is not on. It's just something that needs to be done.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 426
Posted on Monday, 21 September, 2009 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nigel,

What else is wrong apart from rocker cover gaskets?

Don't think that warrants a strip down :-)

" if I want her to continue until my driving days are finished then I should get the engine totally redone. "

Keep her oil changed and drive her with consideration and there is no reason why she shouldn't keep on going!

Nigel Ralph
New User
Username: nigel_ralph

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, 23 September, 2009 - 09:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Paul,

there are leaks from the electronic oil level checker as well as the rocker cover gaskets and when I did a degrease some time ago there was evidence that there had been leaks from the weep holes though they are not leaking now. (I ask, what was used to stop the leaks?)

I do suspect that the engine has not been treated properly at some time in the past and I am currently in a reasonably good position -both semi-retired and having a top class mechanic mate on hand - to carry out the job.

I will be moving from the Whitsundays to the Sunshine Coast as soon as my house sells and although I could always ship the car back to my mate if something serious went wrong in the future, I would prefer to rule out that possibility.

Strange things seem to happen with the old girl. I drove from Whitsundays to Sunshine Coast yesterday 628.7 miles and when I checked the engine at my last stop at Gin Gin (460.3 miles) oil and water were perfect. But when I got to my destination and the engine had cooled right down I needed to put over 1 litre of oil in and the water level had dropped a bit. I don't like this type of uncertainty!

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 429
Posted on Wednesday, 23 September, 2009 - 09:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ah,

it's not an engine rebuild you need -

it's a Toyota !

lol.

Omar M. Shams
Frequent User
Username: omar

Post Number: 59
Posted on Wednesday, 23 September, 2009 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nigel,
I would do things one step at a time.
First cure all external leaks (rocker covers, oil level indicator and any other leaks that you can see). Then I would clean the engine to ensure that I have not miseed any other leaks. Then I would run the car to see exactly how much oil is being lost. Maybe you only lose oil when you exceed a certain engine speed. Maybe you have a breather problem. ANd maybe something else alltogether. The thing is, you must go through these logical steps to be sure of what you are doing.
All the best
Omar