Spray Painting tips Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Spray Painting tips « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Barry Brears
New User
Username: turney_2009

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, 02 September, 2009 - 04:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi,Can Etch primer be used on existing paint after its been rubbed down of course.I know its generally used on bare metal,also can one spray etch primer over body filler.I hear it has the knack of getting underneath some preparations and eventually the finish coat will lift is this true.
Barry

Colin Silver
Frequent User
Username: colsilver

Post Number: 75
Posted on Wednesday, 02 September, 2009 - 06:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Barry

For decades I've heard people talk of resprays on all sorts of cars. The low price and initial look seemed to be their main considerations.

I knew a spray painter for 20 years, trained in early 70's. He would always say that the best paint job was started from bare metal.

However, what you are asking could be quite possible these days with different chemicals invented.

But, on logic, how can any new painting be considered to be better than the old way of starting from metal , if you don't know what is underneath it?

Just my input.
Disclaimer: I am just an old clerk, but many years younger than Bill or my my Dad.

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1924
Posted on Wednesday, 02 September, 2009 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Etch primer is essential on bare aluminium max 14 minutes after preparation.

Generally, steel is far less sensitive when used with modern primers, and especially water-based Standox and Glasurit. Steel does not form a (protective short-term) oxide surface as does aluminium within minutes. Un-etched aluminium is fine for the short term, but horrible later on.

Steel rusts slowly, but the miniscule rust may be lifted with a quality finishing system.

If a clean and dried bare steel surface is covered with primer within 5 hours, it is fine.

Etch primer on rubbed-back painted surfaces ? A disaster, and your refinish would peel and blister within six months in the best case.

RHT.

ps: I have refinished our R and T myself to bare metal. Lots of steel and aluminium on both.