Whistling Exhaust 1975 Shadow LRD20648 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Whistling Exhaust 1975 Shadow LRD20648 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Carl Jensen
Experienced User
Username: carl_jensen

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, 02 September, 2009 - 01:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I recently performed an unfortunate procedure to decarbonize my engine. This involved slowly introducing about a liter of diesel to the carburetor air intake (I had to partially close off the air intake so that the fluid could be drawn into the carburetor) followed by a commercial solution that cleans carburetors/fuel injectors.

Apparently this overheated my catalytic converter and clogged it, although it may have been on its last legs anyway. My spark plugs also got badly fouled.

One new catalytic converter and a new set of plugs later and the car runs OK. However, now I hear a "whistle" whenever I accelerate. This sound seems to be coming out of the exhaust and I can't find where it is originating. I even held a mechanic's stethoscope against various areas of the exhaust system but couldn't find the source of the whistle.

I suppose this may be a piece of the exhaust system that broke off and lodged somewhere inside the exhaust pipes/muffler. The noise is not too bad yet, but it is slowly getting worse and makes it really embarassing to drive my car, although I can't hear the noise when the windows are up and A/C is on.

I know this is a weird problem, but does anybody have a recommendation on how to find and cure this noise? Thanks.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 393
Posted on Wednesday, 02 September, 2009 - 05:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

WOW . . . . OK.

It's not a whistle from the inlet manifold or somewhere there is it?

You'll probably have to 'load' the engine. Engine running - ( It would be better to do this on a wheel free ramp so you can listen to the whole system. (If you haven't got a wheel free ramp. Chock the wheels -) Put it in gear with somebody pressing very hard on the brakes - bring the revs up SLOWLY AND GENTLY - Listen carefully.

(Message edited by paul_yorke on 02 September 2009)

Dr. Omar M. Shams
Experienced User
Username: omar

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, 03 September, 2009 - 06:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Carl,
I am no expert on this matter, but I am simply speaking my thoughts here.
Was the catalytic converter a like-for-like replacement? Was it a Rolls-Royce part or an aftermarket part? Did the intervention into the air/fuel system (to get the "potion" into the engine) get totally reversed or is it feasible that an o ring got breached, or a tube disconnected or a hose inadvertently knocked?

I would be inclined to look more at the exhaust system than the intake system, however, noise detection is a difficult matter to diagnose without being there in person.
good luck.......

Carl Jensen
Experienced User
Username: carl_jensen

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, 04 September, 2009 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for your observations Paul and Omar. I realize that in our RROC forum this kind of problem is especially hard to get a grip on since a sound is involved that you guys can't hear.

The sound occurs whether the car is in gear or not, so it doesn't seem to be drivetrain-related. It was occuring before I replaced the old clogged catalytic converter, although the aftermarket replacement is much different than the original.

I will do some further checking in the inlet manifold area, tube disconnection etc., especially since the engine vibrated badly during the "decarbonization". If (hopefully when) I find the problem I will report back to the group.

Thanks again,
Carl