Wood trim lacquer Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Wood trim lacquer « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Barry Brears
New User
Username: turney_2009

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, 27 August, 2009 - 07:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Can someone point my nose in the right direction. The lacquer on my T1 Bentley chassis SBH17291 Is peeling off what can I do to restore the woodwork.
Barry

Colin Silver
Frequent User
Username: colsilver

Post Number: 68
Posted on Friday, 28 August, 2009 - 04:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Barry
I'll be happy to hear if someone has a home solution. I have the same problem. My Cloud's lacquer is quite thick and crispy in the small areas where it has lifted.

I'd like a non harming fix until I can afford a professional. The last time I lacquered anything was in early 70's in woodworking. All wood was given a good shellacking then. :-)

Andrew Lark
Experienced User
Username: drew

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, 28 August, 2009 - 05:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

When I was looking at buying a Jaguar I found quite a good DIY website for the wood restoration. I'll have a look through my bookmarks and see if I can find it.

I plan on doing my woodwork in my Shadow myself also.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Nigel Johnson
Experienced User
Username: nigel_johnson

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, 28 August, 2009 - 09:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Have a look at Practical Classics magazine. They have recently restored a MK2 Jaguar.June 2009 issue is about refinishing the woodwork.
They used Rustin's plastic coating with hardener. Brushed on,(about 14 coats) flatted and polished. Regards, Nigel.

Bill Payne
Experienced User
Username: wimpy

Post Number: 24
Posted on Saturday, 29 August, 2009 - 04:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here are 3 articles gleaned from several years of reading RR and other sites.
application/pdfWood refinish 1
Wood Refinishing.pdf (110.9 k)
application/pdfWood Refinish Article 2
Wood Refinishing2.pdf (73.8 k)
application/pdfWood Refinish Article 3
Wood RefinishingMernon.pdf (34.5 k)

Andrew Lark
Experienced User
Username: drew

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, 29 August, 2009 - 03:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I finally found the article I was looking for:

http://www.jag-lovers.org/xk-lovers/library/wood_restoration.html

When I do my Shadow interior, I'm am considering moving away from the extreme gloss look that is so popular. I find all the sharp reflections detract from the beauty of the timber work. I wonder what other's opinions are on gloss and other types of finishes.

Andrew.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 388
Posted on Saturday, 29 August, 2009 - 07:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'd don't think this is going to be a popular post and may seem like it's very unhelpful and negative, but it's just my tuppence worth.

Barry, unfortunately it will mean having the whole piece of wood re-lacquered.

Colin, Unfortunately once it starts peeling, there is not a lot one can do which will not damage the veneer underneath and make it much harder to repair properly later.

The cloud would have had a shellacking/french polishing type finish when it was new, but if is thick and coming off as a 'sheet' then it sounds like a more modern finish has been applied. You can strip and hand polish a cloud set of woodwork and it will look authentic. Staining wood and repairing veneer properly is an art that isn't learnt in a few hours. Shadow onwards - IMHO anything but lacquering looks wrong.

The beauty of the modern finish is that it can be warmed and should peel straight of the wood without damaging the veneer. Varnishes etc. tend to sink into the wood making it harder to repair later. Don't overheat it or the wood will darken.

Now a bit of a downer. I'd recommend using a professional car woodwork re-finisher. If funds don't stretch that far - spend the time you would have spent on re-finishing the wood doing a part time job to pay a professional. I know it will be nowhere near as rewarding - but hopefully you'll have another 20 years of enjoyment out of the woodwork. Quality remembered long after the cost is forgotten etc.

OK - you still want to do it yourself? Buy a set of old wood off ebay and have a practice go on that first.

If I had a pound for every-time I had a customer saying 'I wish I'd got you to do it now' , I'd almost have enough to get a set done!

Gloss or another finish? Gloss, although you get reflections, shows the wood clearer. To get a gloss finish, the lacquer is polished afterwards. You could try a satin spray varnish over your existing lacquered wood before you start to give you an idea of the finish. Polishing the satin finish will then bring it to a more glossy finish to your taste. I don't think it will be easy to get it uniform though. Cloud era French polishing leaves the grain as a texture which shows the wood up nicely, but I feel looks odd on later cars. But it's personal preference at the end of the day.

I have seen a couple of home jobs that were perfect - but the amount of hours they spent on it was shocking.

I've also seen a few jobs that have been sprayed with a normal car clear coat. Although the finish of the lacquer is great, the wood underneath was 'patchy' in colour and lost much of the richness you'd expect from a Rolls-Royce.

Colin Silver
Frequent User

Post Number: 73
Posted on Saturday, 29 August, 2009 - 09:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul, you made me cry for the first time this year. But I love straight out talk and appreciate your input.

I'm thinking of saying to Dad "stuff your pre-inheritance gift, bring it back when it is in concours condition, then gift it to me"

If I was a gen X or Y I could probably do that. But being a baby boomer, it looks like I'm going out to do that second job to pay for it.

Life is a laugh.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 389
Posted on Saturday, 29 August, 2009 - 09:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Colin - now I feel guilty - but better the tears now than after a few weeks work.

Don't give up on the old girl yet! ALTHOUGH . . . . that would be pretty neat if he did do that. Trouble is, it may not come back again. Hmmmm

With a little luck, somebody will reply with better news of first hand success stories and a sure fire way to get great results!

Fingers crossed :-)

Barry Brears
New User
Username: turney_2009

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, 02 September, 2009 - 08:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Gentleman,Thankyou very much for all the info which I have read and carefully considered.I now have made a decision to let a proffessional do the job and it seems we have one right here in Batemans Bay.So its off to his little workshop down by the seaside here in paradise.
Barry

Nigel Ralph
New User
Username: nigel_ralph

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, 19 September, 2009 - 09:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bary. Sorry I'm late to this posting. I had the same problem a few years ago with my Shadow SRH18294 and came across a posting on this site by Steve, 18th March 2001.

This was very simple, constructive and only took me about a week (much waiting for layers of lacquer to dry).

I believe Bill Colburn was so impressed with the posting he advised Steve that he would record it somewhere special so that it could easily be found by fellow enthusiasts.

I'm a novice so if I can do it, anyone can do it.

My woodwork still looks as good as it did when first done.

Advice: if you're going to the trouble of doing a patch, forget it and do the whole lot. The underlying reason for the patch will re-emerge in unpatched areas over time.

Nigel Ralph
New User
Username: nigel_ralph

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, 19 September, 2009 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry Barry. I should have included the search words for you to trace the article I referred to.

Refinishing Walnut Veneer Dash. Archive through 18th March 2001.

Bill also included it in his Tee One Topics.

Colin Silver
Frequent User

Post Number: 90
Posted on Saturday, 19 September, 2009 - 07:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This link should take you straight there. I tested it and it worked for me.

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/17001/1500.html?984848593#