Quick seat maintenance Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Quick seat maintenance « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ross Rackham
Experienced User
Username: rosco

Post Number: 35
Posted on Saturday, 22 August, 2009 - 08:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

After sorting the electrics the passenger seat is now moving (albeit a bit stiffly) in all directions.

The last step before popping the top back on is a bit of a clean and lube of the mechanism.

The first thing I recommend is just have a play with the seat. Get it moving all around and familiarise yourself with the movements and all the moving parts. Just a simple thing but now you'll know where all the hinges ect are.

Now these are the 3 products I used.

Lay a towel under the seat to catch excess sprays, lube grease and other crap that may fall out.

Give all the joints, hinges, worm drive and the 3 little gearbox/solenoids a good spray with the contact cleaner/lube.
Don't use just plain contact cleaner as it its very dry. The combo product is great for cleaning out dust and dried out lube ect, but also uses the solvent as a carrier for a light machine oil.
If you can get at the drive motor without destroying the rubber cover give each end of the spindle a quick squirt at the brass bushes.

With the seat in both its most fore and aft positions give the track rails a good spray as well.

DO NOT forget to use the little stick supplied with the spray can or this stuff will get everywhere!

Now the TriLube, it is a high performance gun lube with a Teflon suspension and available in most gun shops.
It's great for rapid fire competition shoots or having the confidence of a stick free pistol if having to unload into a bad guy.
With this product less is more. Only 1 or 2 drops are required at each joint or hinge, it penetrates well and the Teflon works a treat.

Finally a light smear of an all purpose lithium grease on the worm shaft and things are pretty well done.

Give the seat a good exercise ( for the battery concious of you I leave a 6A charger connected to the batt when working) to work in everything and you're done.

For the very enthusiastic a good spray cleaner/lube into the seat switch mechanism if you are inclined to go to the trouble of removing it from the centre console is also recommended.

Anyway, my seat now works beautifully! I don't know if this is "by the book" but it worked.

Cheers
Ross

Andrew Lark
New User
Username: drew

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, 22 August, 2009 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"...having the confidence of a stick free pistol if having to unload into a bad guy."

Yeah I hate it when that happens!

Thanks for the great how-to, Ross. This job is on my list once my health returns and I get stuck into our Shadow.

How hard is it to get at the switches in the centre console? When we purchased our car the previous owner said the passenger seat was being driven without the switch being used when going over bumps so he disconnected the harness to the seat. I suspect it is the result of a sticky switch or a bad connection somewhere.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Ross Rackham
Experienced User

Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, 22 August, 2009 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To get at the switches you need to remove the carpet on either side of the console to get at the two screws hidden behind, these hold the tray that the switches bolt onto.

With the two screws out and the ashtray removed slide the assembly rearwards a little then lift out.

If you dont want to remove the each switch fron the metal tray (it can be a pain in the ass) the plastic surround on each switch has a split which is taped up so you can still at the insides for a spray.

Small hint, remove the floor carpets (and the chrome kick guards to do this, its only 3 screws) as it makes getting the carpets off the console easier, they sort of slide down and a little forward to remove.

Hope this helps.

Ross Rackham
Experienced User

Post Number: 37
Posted on Saturday, 22 August, 2009 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Oh, before I forget the master relay set for the seats is also located within the console, the triangle pannels on either side pop off so you can get into the guts of it all.

The relay set has a "V" shaped retainer on the back plate so it can be slid upwards and outwards on the bit of cable slack for easier access.

Cheers
Ross

Andrew Lark
New User
Username: drew

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, 22 August, 2009 - 04:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the detailed reply Ross - very helpful.

Cheers,

Andrew.