Linkage Issue - Your Expertise Apprec... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Linkage Issue - Your Expertise Appreciated « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dale Mattson
Experienced User
Username: wookieecantina

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, 03 June, 2009 - 03:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello All!
I have examined our 76 Shadow and found that our linkage (idle issues) seem to be coming from this linkage feed to the right carb. When I tighten the exterior nut and secure the linkage to the helical shaft, the securing of such prevents the butterfly from closing properly. When I leave it loose, it functions perfectly, but of course, I can't run the vehicle with linkage unsecure. Have any of your encountered this? I know this may be very simple, but I've tried about everything and can't seem to solve this issue.
Thank you all for any possible assistance. Your prior advise helped me to locate this issue.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 333
Posted on Wednesday, 03 June, 2009 - 05:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Dale,

Have you taken the split pin out and made sure that the pin is pivoting freely? That is a simple pivot point , locked on the nut side and rotating on the other end. Give that a go.

Lubricate with engine or pas oil once free.

Dale Mattson
Experienced User

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, 04 June, 2009 - 01:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Paul,
Thank you kindly for the assistance.
I actually took the spindle out and lubricated it and thusly re-installed. What I discovered as that the spindle which is secured by the cotter key is off-set, meaning that not only does the shaft on the linkage spin, but there needs to be some degree of movement allowed where the linkage bar secures. I tried adjusting the position of the off-set but no avail, it still did not function properly.
Its almost as though the outer nut should be secured somewhat on the lose side and perhaps secured with a loc-tight solution?
For being such a simple looking junction, the off-set design of the spindle seems to be of some major significance.
Thank you again Paul, your help is appreciated.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 335
Posted on Thursday, 04 June, 2009 - 07:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Dale,

Hmmmmmm not sure what to say. The nuts should definitely be tight. As the linkage returns to the rest position it should 'relax' at the spindle side.

I think a good starting point would be to synchronise the throttles - you will need to screw out the throtle stop and also (if it's touching the fast idle cam ) the fast idle adjuster.

Then loosen the clamp nut/bolt on the arm to the left of your picture. Once loose, fully close the flap using the lever at the other end of the spindle (by the choke cam.)

Then lock up the nut and bolt. Both butterflies should now be fully closed.

Screw in the idle stop so it opens the throtles enough to tick over, start the car and set the idle speed when hot.

Hope that makes sense.

Dale Mattson
Experienced User

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, 04 June, 2009 - 07:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Paul,
Thank you so much, I will certainly try your suggestion, should have time tonight:-)
I truly must say that Rolls Royce put a great deal of thought and engineering into such a minor detail as this linkage, the work which went into this tiny bolt was fairly extensive. I almost wish they have converted the side which secures the trailing linkage to another cotter-pin style as this would have eliminated the issues of having the nut so tight as to prevent proper movement.
I know previously I had adjusted the butterflies but the shaft which holds them actually had been knotched/machined, to allow the clinching bolt to be run through the edge of the shaft, therein securing the location with little ability to adjust. As you said however, there could have been just enough space to allow for the linkage mechanism to be adjusted and perhaps I missed this.
Thank you Paul, your advise and constant professionalism truly benefits this wonderful forum and myself.