Fog Light Problem. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Fog Light Problem. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jan Forrest
Frequent User
Username: got_one

Post Number: 75
Posted on Thursday, 14 May, 2009 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Although the rear fogs on The Old Girl (SRH24518) work just fine with the main lighting switch at the dipped beam position, they then go out when I select the front fog light position. As does the rear fog idiot light in the switch. I don't know if the switch position is standardised, but mine is in the centre console, just under the radio.
I've located a couple of fuses behind the glove box, one of which appears to have something to do with the rear fogs and both are good as swapping them over doesn't make any difference. There is also what looks like a small, white relay near to them, but I don't know if its related. I have found the relevent circuit on the wiring diagram in the maual, but it doesn't give any idea as to where any of the electrical items are situated.
Any ideas my little Antipodean chumlets?
Failing any hints on how to make it work 'as standard' is it easy to just have them come on when the front fogs are on? Might as well since if I can't see where I'm going, it stands to reason that the idiot behind me can't

Jan Forrest
Frequent User

Post Number: 84
Posted on Friday, 03 July, 2009 - 02:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That would be a 'no' then!

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 354
Posted on Friday, 03 July, 2009 - 04:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jan,

No I don't think the white box is anything to do with the Fog lights. Probably the courtesy light delay unit?

I think you'll find that both the fog lights are supposed to be fed from either the rear fog light switch or from the front fog lights when they are on. The relay you're looking for (I think ) has a Pink and red wire (front fog light feed) , a pink and blue (rear fog light feed), black (earth) The pink and red should go to a W terminal and a C terminal as well. I think the other wire to the relay may be pink and blue (check at the rear fog light switch)

The relay should be fed from the dip beam, and then from the rear fog lamps when they are on. Check the two extra fuses you found, one should be live when dip are on, the other when front fogs are on. ( or something like that)

Can you hear a relay clicking when you put the front fogs of? head for that if you can.

Why not choose another feed for them remembering that they are 2 x 55w bulbs so quite a high load.

Perhaps somebody has swapped a couple of wires by mistake?

Jan Forrest
Frequent User

Post Number: 85
Posted on Saturday, 04 July, 2009 - 07:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks. I'll look into it over the weekend or some time next week.
So much to do and so little time to do it in ...

Hubert Kelly
Prolific User
Username: h_kelly

Post Number: 134
Posted on Monday, 13 October, 2014 - 09:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all, quick question, I own a 1968 SHadow, Australian import. Should this car have a factory build fog light, if so I have no idea where the switch is?. If not delivered with a factory fog, can anyone advise me on the best descreet option. Many thanks
HK

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 1284
Posted on Monday, 13 October, 2014 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No. Not Standard and when they were , ugly ones are bolted in to the rear valance. Right up to the Shadow IIs.

Avoid unless you really need them.
Next to the handbrake pull was favoured for swirch location.

Hubert Kelly
Prolific User

Post Number: 135
Posted on Monday, 13 October, 2014 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks very much Paul its just the fog has been quite bad here in recent days.Many thanks
HK

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.78
Posted on Tuesday, 14 October, 2014 - 04:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I put my rear fog switch where the radio balance knob was. The switch is the same as the heated rear window. Above the switch is a small hole in the plastic and behind the hole is a red led.

The circuit has no relay (21 watts divided by 12 volts = 2amps) and draws it's power from the side lamp circuit via a 3amp line fuse.

The actual rear fog is fitted on the rear valance under the driver's side over rider.

I hate the stupid looking red light but it makes it safer in fog.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Hubert Kelly
Prolific User

Post Number: 136
Posted on Thursday, 16 October, 2014 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bob thanks for that, the balance switch sounds like a perfect location. I have being toying with the idea of a removable light, for the rare eventuality in which.. I might get caught out in fog.
Hk

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.81
Posted on Friday, 17 October, 2014 - 05:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The angled leg of the k or shorter of the two outside terminals are negative.

Xmass lights are moulded in and don't have outside legs just wires. I use a worn out 9v pp9 battery to test so that I don't blow the led with wrong polarity.

The hot rod guys used to fit red lights under the back to light up the ground. This needs at least 2 lights and 6 amps which is at the limit of that type of switch so a relay is best used.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.92
Posted on Saturday, 18 October, 2014 - 05:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A guy at the radio shop told me today that to test led because they are diodes use the diode test function on a multi meter. If it lights then that is the polarity.

So obvious when you know.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 904
Posted on Saturday, 18 October, 2014 - 07:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My Shadow 11 just looked horrible with the two rear fog lights when I bought it years ago.

First job was to remove them and use a different idea.

RHD car so used the o/s rev light [clear lens] wired up from the fog light with 21w red bulb useing the original rear fog light switch.
One rev light n/s is sufficent for use.

Time has come to to purchace a red LED bulb that are now available instead of the 21w bulb.

richard george yeaman
Prolific User
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 227
Posted on Saturday, 18 October, 2014 - 08:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick that is a brilliant idea I will keep that in mind for the future.

Richard.

Hubert Kelly
Prolific User

Post Number: 137
Posted on Sunday, 19 October, 2014 - 01:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Patrick, thanks very much for your advice, sounds like a great idea.
Hk

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.80
Posted on Sunday, 19 October, 2014 - 06:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

King brilliant idea. I can throw the red pendant light in the bin.

The resistor for the red led for the switch is 100 ohms.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 907
Posted on Thursday, 23 October, 2014 - 02:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

led fog

Led fog light bulb came today, worth every bit of £12.00, the pix does not do it justice.
Works as it should on main and dip beams.

Bob uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 94.197.122.73
Posted on Thursday, 23 October, 2014 - 08:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Smashing.
it looks sleek and functional with out a pendant light.

Its best to only have one fog lamp otherwise the brake lamps may not show out.

If one reversing isn't bright enough the fog can be used as well for backing up.

I made a led bulb thingy as an experiment and it's very difficult to make it small enough or tidy enough.

Having tried to make one I now think it's easier to buy one. Tomorrow I have mot my Jeep so I will ask the Quinton Hazel lads opposite the mot garage.