Door lock solenoids Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Door lock solenoids « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeffrey McCarthy
Prolific User
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 121
Posted on Friday, 08 May, 2009 - 03:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Does anybody know if the door lock solenoid for the front passenger side lock is interchangeable with either of the rear ones ?

Mine has failed - only on the upstroke - and I thought I might swap it with (preferably) the rear driver's side one until I can get a replacement.

I've checked all the wiring and switches and taken the thing out - it looks pretty cactus to me: black with white deposits, charred paper etc.

Also any ideas if it's cheaper/more cost-effective in the long-run to get it rewound or to just buy a new one and be done with it.

Jeff

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 322
Posted on Friday, 08 May, 2009 - 06:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeffrey,

The actual solenoids are interchangeable, unfortunately the plates they mount onto are and the tags they mount with are not.

Unfortunately to swap the mounting tags involves drilling out the pop rivets which, unless great care is taken, can damage the good solenoid.

Is it mechanically free?

Is it electrically open circuit? (check the solder blobs - not the cables.)

There is a metal strip which brisges the two earths from each solenoid together. This rusts so one solenoid looses it's earth. Solder a new bridge to it.

I always fit a used one so I've never tried having them rewound.

Jeffrey McCarthy
Prolific User

Post Number: 122
Posted on Friday, 08 May, 2009 - 06:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Paul - it's dark at the moment so I'll check the earth bridge and the soldering tomorrow morning.

Jeffrey McCarthy
Prolific User

Post Number: 124
Posted on Saturday, 09 May, 2009 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Paul,
As expected there is continuity between the positive and the earth on the lower solenoid. This one is working.

As you can see there is an earth wire (red!) running down the side of the solenoid from the top half to a solder blob on the base and this has continuity (lower part of 2nd photo).

There is no connection however between this blob and the adjacent earth with the wire. Is this where the plate should be? (right hand side of first photo)

There seems to be no evidence of anything having been there. Is it possibly supposed to be bridged with a wire or a plate and this has fallen off?

(Message edited by david_gore on 18 May 2009)

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 323
Posted on Saturday, 09 May, 2009 - 05:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeffery,

That is usually the problem.

You can't see the strip, but do not try taking it apart to repair it, just link the two earth blobs with some wire.
Shadow Solenoid Repair

Jeffrey McCarthy
Prolific User

Post Number: 126
Posted on Wednesday, 13 May, 2009 - 09:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Exact solution Paul - thankyou !

Also - great job of cleaning up the dull and blurred photo.

Jeff