Conversion of Wraith II rear Screen t... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Conversion of Wraith II rear Screen to Large Shadow Design « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dr. Omar M. Shams
Experienced User
Username: omar

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, 06 May, 2009 - 06:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I converted my Wraith II rear windscreen to a larger Shadow II size for many reasons that I will not bore everyone with at this stage. Initially, the conversion daunted me, but when I got stuck in, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the rear ends are all the same for Wraiths and Shadows. The differnce is that a Wraith has an insert that can be ground out very easily and underneath it is a Shadow aperture ready to accept a Shadow rear screen. In case anyone wants to go the other way, they are welcome to have my left over parts.

(Message edited by david_gore on 18 May 2009)

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1118
Posted on Tuesday, 19 May, 2009 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sad in a way Omar, there would not be many cars around with the small rear window. I have never driven one but can imagine that the visibility would be a bit daunting in traffic. I was at the Factory a litle while after they brought the feature in and although they undoubtedly planned the modification to the last detail, they had overlooked a rather fundamental requirement.

The bodies having had their panels sorted out and doors jury rigged were picked up by an overhead conveyer line from which depended 'T" shaped bars. The 'T' bit was poked through the front and rear screen apertures, the body lifted off its trolley and then lowered into a small swimming pool of priming paint. Came the first 'little' rear window aperture and the 'T' bar would simply not go through!

How about that for trivia??

Dr. Omar M. Shams
Experienced User
Username: omar

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, 19 May, 2009 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill,
A small rear window is indeed a nightmare from an overall safety perspective - relatively speaking. I have to put up with it in my other Wraith.......... There are still many more of them with the small window than the larger ones. I have certainly seen several converted like mine. Interetsing trivia... thanks for that.