Shadow glass Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Shadow glass « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gus Brogden
Experienced User
Username: gus

Post Number: 38
Posted on Sunday, 03 May, 2009 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The incompetant lackey of the public school next door to me decided to shower my 68 Shadow with gravel propelled by his weed whacker. Aside from countless chips in the paint, he put 30+ chips and 2 cracks in my windsheild, and overall caused significant damage. My question is, is there still OEM windsheilds about, or are there only aftermarket ones? And how different are the aftermarket ones, ie, thickness, tint, etc.? A real sad day for me, my windsheild was mint and original, and I'm afraid I lost some of the authenticity of my car. Any idea if an aftermarket windsheild would affect the value of SRX2838?

Bill Coburn
Username: bill_coburn

Post Number: 1115
Posted on Sunday, 03 May, 2009 - 01:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gus - Do not jump on your sword yet. A mate has to my astonishment just got a side glass for a two door about your car's vintage - brand new and genuine etc. He is away for a few days when he returns I will let you know the supplier. Apart from that bugger and damn and sympathies. When does the lackey get out of hospital?

Gus Brogden
Experienced User

Post Number: 39
Posted on Sunday, 03 May, 2009 - 02:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My profound fear of rooming with theives and wife beaters keeps me from expressing my true feelings for most of my ilk. However, the damage to the car is quite great, I am awaiting a return call from the superintendant of the offending board. This has happened a couple of times before to other antiques of mine, under the same circumstances. I have given them strong warnings that have even prompted them to visit me at my home. At the first indication of them refusing to assume liability, I shall sick my litigator and his pack of starving pitbulls at everyone in sight. I will probably be doing them all a great favor, as people who operate machines in that manner are just a waste of protoplasm. If it costs them enough, their brain stem may even start sending some signals. Im sure come monday morning some cages will be rattled, after all, it was an antique Rolls Royce that they damaged, wasn't it? I find that the level of my kindness is a function of the level of intelligence posessed by those around me.

Gus Brogden
Experienced User

Post Number: 40
Posted on Sunday, 03 May, 2009 - 02:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

BTW, thanks Bill, I may be in the market for one in aus. if I cant find one in canada. Pardon my previous ranting, I was so happy with my progress with this car, and now it looks horrible, as the damage is quite noticeable. I dont even let my wife drive it, so I certainly cant let some mental invalid away with what happened. I'll keep the forum posted as to how things go. Dang! And I just finished all the hoses, pumps, filters, and flushing!

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 1697
Posted on Monday, 04 May, 2009 - 02:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Last I heard, the nationwide Australian chain O'Brien still stocks all windows for your car, Gus. http://www.obrienglass.com.au/

They stock new glass for most production vehicles, and at last notice that included Silver Clouds and Silver Shadows. Their preference is first to repair glass damage to optically-perfect standards (they do marvels). If not stocked, and the old glass is beyond repair, their policy is in every case to source new replacement glass for any vehicle. They will even do one-offs in the worst case. I know of a Silver Dawn Hooper Empress Line years ago which had a perfect O'Briens one-off, and understand that they still do them for unusual and unique vehicles readily, possibly ex-New Zealand. For MkVI and R-Types, they will cut a new windscreen on the spot to pattern - keep your old windscreen, MkVI people, for next time, to avoid a copy of a copy.

RT.

Gus Brogden
Experienced User

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, 05 May, 2009 - 01:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

So the top brass from the school board came over this morning to inspect the damage and humbly accept responsibility for destroying my Shadow. Lots of photos were taken, and, of course, they both had to sit in a Rolls Royce for the first time. I spoke to my insurer, and they assured me that they will deal with the school board's insurer. I now have to drive it to my insurer's place of business and let their staff ogle it. My problem is this: I live in a city of 150 thousand, and no insurance accredited shop is willing to take on the r and r of the windshield. They all point to the chrome strip, turn their backs, and whisper to each other before declining me. I find it all a bit funny, actually. I'll keep on it, someone will take on the job.

Jeffrey McCarthy
Prolific User
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 118
Posted on Tuesday, 05 May, 2009 - 04:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gus,

If all else fails there is this one in the UK for sale on ebay. It is claimed to be in 'good condition' and organising someone to courier it to Canada might be a pain but at least it seems to be an original.

Did you get the chance to be 'a fly on the wall' when the school principal explained the facts of life to the weed-wacker packer?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rolls-Royce-Silver-Shadow-Front-Windscreen_W0QQitemZ230339496660QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item230339496660&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Cheers,

Jeff

Gus Brogden
Experienced User

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, 05 May, 2009 - 04:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I will check out the one on ebay. I am still somewhat interested in the perils of an aftermarket one. The ones I talked to about an original refuses to ship overseas, and I have yet to find one in Canada. Whats the difference with an aftermarket one? I've certainly seen a few of these around...

Gus Brogden
Experienced User

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, 05 May, 2009 - 05:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

BTW, I'm sure I will hear all about the chastising the lackey will receive. I know the guy who hurt my jag last year heard the word, I have no doubt that he will be reminded this year that he is replaceable. Last year he wasn't. Out of pity, I thought of hiring him if he lost his job over this, but I opted not. I dont think he's trainable. It was kinda funny when the school authority told me that it would be wise for me to put the Shadow in the garage. I opened the door and showed him SRF31065. He understood my situation on the spot. I need a bigger garage.

Jeffrey McCarthy
Prolific User

Post Number: 119
Posted on Tuesday, 05 May, 2009 - 05:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gee - I'd like to BE in the position of needing a bigger garage!

So far I'm convinced that I need a James Young 2-door Shadow and a James Young long-wheel base Cloud (with division and the whole half acre of walnut bar facilities) just to appreciate the car that I already have ;-)

I'm sure it'll all work out in the end. Last year our local roadside assist guy (I won't mention the company name but yes it is the one we've known and loved since our grandparents had cars) flatbacked my car 5 kilometers - without tying the thing down on the back of the truck with predictable results !!!!!

I'd just driven it out of the body shop that afternoon and he more than undid the original damage.

He was insured with the same company he was the local contactor for - business division. You try getting a single (large) company to be the first AND the second party to an insurance claim by a third party.

A telephone-tag nightmare for 6 weeks. I hope things go better for you.

Cheers,

Jeff

Gus Brogden
Experienced User

Post Number: 47
Posted on Tuesday, 05 May, 2009 - 05:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My wife has been in the insurance industry for 21 years. I am only allowed to do what she tells me. Today I was pulling into the local hardware store and seen a very nice 65 Ford Ranchero. I pulled in and parked beside him. I got out at the same time as he, just to listen to him cuss about how he cant park anywhere private. It turns out he worked on in for 5 years, painted it last week, and already had 'shopping cart' rash. I told him my most recent story, adding that I always park in the furthest spot. He responded that was were the damage happened. People. Dont get me started.

Gus Brogden
Experienced User

Post Number: 48
Posted on Tuesday, 05 May, 2009 - 05:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff: we ALL need a bigger garage.

John Budden
Experienced User
Username: johnb

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, 05 May, 2009 - 08:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff,
Did you see the LWB Cloud on ebay in the US (RHD too)- think it is PW from memory.

Jeffrey McCarthy
Prolific User

Post Number: 120
Posted on Tuesday, 05 May, 2009 - 09:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes,
I saw it, but I have also collected quite a few photos of various of these 'baby phantoms' over the last few years.

The best site for those of us who like drooling over these things (and all varieties of company and classic cars) is 'Car & Classic UK'

Not a bad site (as is ebay) if you want to check some detail of your own car by the way - I have a nice collection of the various shadow dash details as they changed, or were modified by owners, over time.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/list/38/

David Turner
Experienced User
Username: silver_spur

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, 06 May, 2009 - 01:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gus ,
no problem with a new windshield, we just replaced one in a Wraith earlier this year, which is the same glass i believe. it was readily avaliable through Bentley Vancouver (John Fife)who are always good to deal with, or we now have Bentley Calgary (Scott Hudema)our glass shop are very carefull and do a good job on RR/bentley stuff. nice and tidy no damage etc they take there time and care about the job. We did have a little difficulty with the insurance co who just didnt get it, but stick to your guns and insist on original parts and a quality shop and all will come good
ps dont forget to change the rubber at the same time
Regards Dave

Gus Brogden
Experienced User

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, 06 May, 2009 - 04:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

So here's where it sits... I dealt with my insurance co., and they gave me a cash settlement for the paint chips that I am happy with. I am plannining on painting the car soon, so it was easier this way than getting the chips repaired now. They couldnt find a value on the windshield, (ya think?) so the glass co. is going to order a new windshield and rubber from the dealer. Im just waiting to hear from the body shop, they took a lot of photos and they want to make sure that their glazier can handle it. (I warned them that I dont want the chrome all cabbaged) I should have it all taken care of in the next day or two.

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 321
Posted on Wednesday, 06 May, 2009 - 08:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gus,

Get them to cut the rubbers out and then the chrome just lifts out. :-)

Gus Brogden
Frequent User

Post Number: 63
Posted on Thursday, 15 October, 2009 - 04:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Haha, here I am, 5 months later. I FINALLY got my windshield installed on SRX2838. The shop had the glass for a couple months, but I think they only had one guy who would do it. It wasnt until I emailed them and told them that if they couldnt do it, let me know and I'll go elsewhere. I dont think they wanted to be stuck with it so they fit me in. It turned out quite good, Im happy with the work. The chrome trim survived without a mark.