Internal light not switching off Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Internal light not switching off « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeffrey McCarthy
Prolific User
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 114
Posted on Wednesday, 11 March, 2009 - 09:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

On the rear passenger side door on SRH20280 (1974 SSI) the little courtesy light which also illuminates the red reflector when the door is open fails to turn off with the rest of the internal lights after the usual delay time.

I have tested the set-up by opening this door only and manually depressing the button. This results in all the other lights timing out but not this one. This is of course what happens with this light when any door is closed.

From this I deduce (correctly ? ) that it is a problem with a relay; or perhaps with the timer (which I understand is a sort of relay ?) not the actual switch. I have also checked that the little rubber stop which depresses the switch on door closure is intact and works.

Does anybody have any experience with these circuits who could tell me if I'm on the right track. Also if it is a relay or a timer is there an acceptable Bosch or similar quality replacement -- I'm beginning to find all of those 'Lucas - Prince of Darkness' jokes are wearing a bit thin.

However, in the light-hearted spirit we try to maintain here I'll repeat one of the better ones:

Thomas Edison - inventor of the electric light bulb.

Alexander Graham Bell - inventor of the telephone.

Joseph Lucas - inventor of the intermittent windscreen wiper...

:-)

Cheers,

Jeff

Paul Yorke
Prolific User
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 299
Posted on Wednesday, 11 March, 2009 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff, at first guess I'd say that the cigar lighter and light feeds have been swapped over behind the door pad some point in time. Does the lighter on that door only work when A door is open ?

Other than that, all lights are on the same circuit on Shadows. :-)

Cheers, Paul.

Jeffrey McCarthy
Prolific User
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 115
Posted on Wednesday, 11 March, 2009 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That was a spectacularly good guess Paul !

The cigar lighter does in fact only work with a door open.

I'll take the door panel off in the next day or so, trace the connectors and swap them back over to see if it fixes the problem. Can't see why it shouldn't.

And once again, thanks, one more little detail now understood.

Jeff :-)