Threading the way Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Threading the way « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

William H. Trovinger II
Prolific User
Username: bill_trovinger

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, 16 December, 2003 - 05:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

As I go to swamp/parts meets this winter (better price than automotive shops or Sears), I would like to increase my collection of dies and taps. So I am hoping that people will post what threads sizes they have found on Shadows and for what. For example I know most fittings on the Hydraulic System are 3/8" but use 10mm with 1mm pitch thread. If we get enough information I would like to put it together in an excel spreadsheet that could be helpful to all.

Kindest regards,
Bill

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 162
Posted on Tuesday, 16 December, 2003 - 06:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill,

Most difficult to obtain set of taps and dies is the BA series; this is widely used in live steam model engineering and electronics but rarely in cars. From memory sizes range from 0/10BA.

For the other sizes, go to the Silver Spirit, Spur and later Topics and view the thread labelled "Proper Torque Values for the water pump on 1985 Silver Spur" - WHunter and I have posted charts showing both fastener specification and tightening torque and this will be a useful guide to what you should be looking for.

One word of advice regarding taps and dies, "you get what you pay for" - be wary of low price Chinese/Indian sets made from Carbon Steel as these do not last long and dimensional accuracy can be suspect. Best naterial is High Speed Steel [HSS] and sets made in Japan, USA, UK using HSS are usually good value.

In my experience, buying a set is more economical than buying individual taps/dies as needed even though you end up with a surfeit of holders. A set of "blind taps" is a good investment for reclaiming stud holes as ordinary taps will bottom out before all the thread is recut.

whunter
Prolific User
Username: whunter

Post Number: 57
Posted on Tuesday, 16 December, 2003 - 08:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Bill and David
Most times I would agree with you David.
Qualified exception to tap and die buying is
#1. Swap meets. (an extra HSS tap or die in sizes you need).
#2. Pawn/Hock shops. (buy the whole tool box to get the tools you want, add the extra tools you never needed and sell the tool box back to the Pawn/Hock shops).
#3. Estate sales or auctions. (just got an old wood box that turned out to be a tool chest of wrenches and pipe taps for $5.00 USD).

HSS Tap and Die Rules
#1. you never have enough.
#2. the one that breaks is on 3 month back order but you can get aother set for $500.00 USD.
#3. you can never oil them to much.
#4. they rust faster than you can oil them.
#5. for every Tap and Die you have; there are three more you need but can't find.
#6. Thread gauges and Pitch gauges; find them, buy them and learn to use them.
#7. never put Tap or Die to a part until you prove it is the correct one, SAE helicoil thread repair kits are cheap and easy to find, whitworth is not.....

My professional (27 year set) weighs just under 102.059 kilgrams with no boxes.

I will contact my supplier, they had an excel spreadsheet, when last I checked it was about forty pages.

Agreed, Expensive too.
RE: Most difficult to obtain Tap and Dies are the BA series; this is widely used in live steam model engineering and electronics but rarely in cars. From memory sizes range from 0/10BA.

Great idea for a holiday shopping list.
RE: For the other sizes, go to the Silver Spirit, Spur and later Topics and view the thread labelled "Proper Torque Values for the water pump on 1985 Silver Spur" - WHunter and I have posted charts showing both fastener specification and tightening torque and this will be a useful guide to what you should be looking for.

Fact!
In my experience, buying a set is more economical than buying individual taps/dies as needed even though you end up with a surfeit of holders. A set of "blind taps" is a good investment for reclaiming stud holes as ordinary taps will bottom out before all the thread is recut.
whunter
RROC, Lake Michigan, Motor and Ohio region.
ASE Master Mechanic
Bloomfield Eurotech
45671 Woodward Avenue
Pontiac, MI 48341
Work Phone 248-334-6400 Fax 248-334-2363
asemastermechanic@juno.com