Accumulator valve rebuild. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Accumulator valve rebuild. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

davide frada
New User
Username: davidef

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, 19 December, 2008 - 04:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

hello Chaps

i'm making some progress getting my shadow back on the road reliably. i was delighted to refit the rebuilt accumulator and be greeted with more or less normal brake operation, without any brake pump clacking no matter the engine speed or load. this continued to be the case for 20 miles. whilst cruising happily at 70mph, the noise returned.

upon arrival at my destination, i opened up the relevant accumulator bleed screw to find the fluid being expelled in spurts once more.

presuming the valve to be faulty, i removed and disassembled it to find it cleaner than expected. the non return and control valves appear to be in good order, though the orings have had better days, and the valve body bore could do with a hone.

my question relates to the washer which sits inside the valve piston assembly, onto which the stopper sits (the piece which sits into the centre of the large access plug). the washer is very definitely not smooth, showing raised, but unmachined areas corresponding to the holes in the valve piston assembly. is this correct, or should it be machined flat?

many thanks
davide