Oil Pressure gauge and Temperature gauge Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Oil Pressure gauge and Temperature gauge « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeffrey McCarthy
Frequent User
Username: jefmac2003

Post Number: 92
Posted on Wednesday, 05 November, 2008 - 08:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have acquired a Silver Shadow Oil Gauge for my '74 Shadow. My Ammeter was replaced with a new VDO temperature gauge before I bought the car.

I have also acquired an original Shadow temperature gauge, so I now have 2 extra gauges which I will mount to the left of the steering wheel under the dash. Oil pressure and Ammeter.

Firstly - should I get OEM (or period) senders to work with these gauges - the priority is quality not originality - or should I use modern sensors & senders: does anybody know a reliable brand which would work with these gauges ?

The VDO temp sender already has wiring installed and it would be great if I could use this.

I'll probably end up getting someone to do the work as I have no idea what's involved but I'd like to get the parts beforehand.

By the way I've finally worked out after much experiment which LED globes work best with these gauges - I'll post a photo in a day or two. I have found that if you use blue wide-angle LEDs and remove the blue plastic bubble in the gauge you get the best (i.e. most readable) 'soft blue' RR effect - only somewhat brighter than the original eye-straining glow. The dimmer can reduce this if desired.

(Message edited by jefmac2003 on 05 November 2008)

(Message edited by jefmac2003 on 05 November 2008)

Jeffrey McCarthy
Prolific User

Post Number: 111
Posted on Sunday, 01 March, 2009 - 04:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just further to this; does anyone know if the Oil Pressure Sending Unit from the SSII UE40480 (pictured below) can be adapted/used on the Shadow series one?

I have an original SSI Smiths Oil Pressure gauge which is not connected to anything but is mounted under the dash and I'd like to get it working.

I read elsewhere that one of the aftermarket units proved to be less than satisfactory. Once again advice is more than appreciated.

Cheers,

Jeff

Paul Yorke
Prolific User
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 287
Posted on Sunday, 01 March, 2009 - 06:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think the outputs are different. You probably need a RH3636 :-(

About £60 here

Jeffrey McCarthy
Prolific User

Post Number: 112
Posted on Sunday, 01 March, 2009 - 08:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That price is not prohibitive Paul -- would that be Flying Spares, Bentley OEM or Montague & Co. ?

I would need to buy some sort of cable as well. Are they available ?

(Message edited by jefmac2003 on 01 March 2009)

Paul Yorke
Prolific User
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 288
Posted on Monday, 02 March, 2009 - 09:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeffery, I'd probably have one for that - will have to check stock. Pattern , but I think the same as OEM. Don't know about Montys or FS, They probably would though.

Cable is just normal wire with a female spade connector. I think you would need to use a +ve feed from the fuel gauge though, for a stabalised voltage.

Jeffrey McCarthy
Prolific User

Post Number: 113
Posted on Monday, 02 March, 2009 - 04:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sure thing Paul - if you find one could you email me jefmac2003@yahoo.co.uk

Cheers :-)