Height Control Valves - Rebuilding Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Silver Shadow Series » Threads to 2015 » Height Control Valves - Rebuilding « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

William H. Trovinger II
Prolific User
Username: bill_trovinger

Post Number: 47
Posted on Saturday, 22 November, 2003 - 03:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Help! I am about to start rebuild of the Height Control Valves, this is on '76 SS, SRE23726. Has anyone done this already? If so what are some of the pitfalls not mentioned in the workshop manual? I know that the positions of each part at time of removal is important to note. Also that the arms must stay in a limited horizontal area during the complete procedure. Is there anything else?

Hope someone can help me!

Regards,
Bill

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 149
Posted on Saturday, 22 November, 2003 - 04:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Bill,

ABSOLUTE IMPERATIVE - NOTE POSITION ALL PIPES AND TAG ACCORDINGLY WITH TAGS THAT CANNOT BE REMOVED, KNOCKED OFF, DAMAGED OR SUFFER ANY OTHER FORM OF INDIGNITY DURING ENTIRE JOB.

If you reconnect pipes incorrectly, you can blow end of valve clean off by applying system pressure to wrong side of valve piston - been there; done that - lucky to be able to find a usable second-hand body courtesy of one of our service professionals to avoid cost new valve.

whunter
Prolific User
Username: whunter

Post Number: 34
Posted on Sunday, 23 November, 2003 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Bill
Would you be willing to take step by step digital pictures of the process?
It would make a wonderful addition to RROC(A) online library.
I suggest it would be great for "T"one topics and State publication also.
whunter
RROC Member, Lake Michigan, Motor Region and Ohio region.
ASE Master Mechanic
Bloomfield Eurotech
45671 Woodward Avenue
Pontiac, MI 48341
Work Phone 248-334-6400
Fax 248-334-2363
asemastermechanic@juno.com

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 172.188.19.65
Posted on Sunday, 23 November, 2003 - 02:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A piece of stiff card folded concettina style is usefull for laying out the valves.

Plug all the holes 3/8UNF bleed nipples will fit.

And clean the body before you strip.

The job is straight forward and easy DIY.

Take note of what Dave said above blowing the valve apart. I use number stamped copper disks on fuses wire and a note book .

Draw a picture of the valve number the ports attach the copper disk to the pipe with the fuse wire.

A grubby unreadable bit of masking tape is asking for trouble. is that a 1 or a 4 ?

The disks are copper because the copper was what was handy at the time-- ally is equally as good.

whunter
Prolific User

Post Number: 36
Posted on Sunday, 23 November, 2003 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Bob
Violent agreement. RE: metal stamped disks wired on to each line and take notes.
I have sadly, gone into small factories to repair handling equipment, 100+ pneumatic or hydraulic lines on a single machine, cause of breakdown, well intentioned person failed to use metal tags or did not take notes.
I also use a digital camera now.
For fast review of what was done and when, it can not be bettered.
Digital pictures make the job almost fool proof.
I should not say that, I recall a gent in Charlotte, North Carolina (USA), who could not work on his Chevy truck without a fresh two liter whiskey bottle, I doubt that pictures would be a help when mixed with large volumes of whiskey or similar liquor.
whunter
ASE Master Mechanic
Bloomfield Eurotech
45671 Woodward Avenue
Pontiac, MI 48341
Work Phone 248-334-6400
Fax 248-334-2363

Bob UK
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 172.185.133.216
Posted on Sunday, 23 November, 2003 - 09:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

We never had digital cameras when I were a lad just a slate and chalk.

I hate picking up where another engineer has left off. Bound to go wrong.

whunter
Prolific User

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, 24 November, 2003 - 02:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hello Bob
It pays the bills, automobiles or machines. RE: I hate picking up where another engineer has left off. Bound to go wrong.

Digital camera has saved me several times when owner/client claimed work not done or not needed; their Lawyer (Solicitor/Barrister) took one look at the pictures and apologized to me. RE: We never had digital cameras when I were a lad just a slate and chalk.

My specialty is reassembly, recovery of that basket case been setting in garage/barn/other for years.
In simple terms, making it work the way it should again.

Have a great day.
whunter
ASE Master Mechanic
Bloomfield Eurotech
45671 Woodward Avenue
Pontiac, MI 48341
Work Phone 248-334-6400
Fax 248-334-2363

Dwayne Kennemore
Experienced User
Username: dkennemo

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, 02 January, 2004 - 01:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Does anyone have a scanned version of the diagrams and instructions for overhauling the height control valves and other lifting mechanism related hydraulics (SRE 22609)? If it's too much to post email direct to dwaynekennemore@aol.com. Thanks.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 166
Posted on Friday, 02 January, 2004 - 09:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dwayne,

Requested information is on the way.

Dwayne Kennemore
Experienced User
Username: dkennemo

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, 03 January, 2004 - 02:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I want to thank everyone who responded to my last request - I think the spirit of camraderie really shows through on this board.

BOb Uk
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 195.93.33.11
Posted on Friday, 23 January, 2004 - 06:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Whunter

I used to do a lot of resto work but in the UK the finished car is never worth the money spent and I have found very keen owners become less keen when asked for the money.

I kept a photo record of any work done with dates etc on the photos because of disputes. I had enough of the arguments.

A collegue of mine rebuilt a Truimph Stag at a cost of £10,000 and the owner refused to pay.

After a lenghly argument he accepted less because he needed to pay the bills.

There was nothing wrong with the job he had done and the car was better than new.

The owner knew this and he also knew that if he witheld payment that the mechanic would run into cash flow probelms.

The only mistake that the mechanic made was not taking stage payments.

What I used to do was take a deposit and then when the money has run out I stop until more money is paid. That why the onwer never gets to owe me large amounts of money the most I would go over was £50. That way if someone dies or something -- it has happened--- I am not in an akward position.

Cruel but business is business and people that I have done work for are not going to come round and bail my business out if It went wrong. They may have kind words but that is all and that all any one could expect.

I have found that when owners start arguing that the best course is to do no more work for them and the relation ship stops there because I have been paid unless of course I have mucked up.

Been there.

I had a young lady burst into tears because I stripped the glass out of a Mini for a respray to find that there was rust under the rubbers that needed more money. That one went to a lawyer.

The lawyer would not accept that I did not have xray vision or a crystal ball. and that an estimate is an estimate not a quote and in any case a quote would be subject to strip down and that so would an estimate because it said so in easy to read large print just above her signature.

She even lied that she was 17 so that the contract fails in law. She was 22. Her parents said she was 17 as well. She got caught out when I contacted her insurance company.

I gave her the car back unfinished with the glass on back seat.

I now work for the Gov as a civil servant with a pension, and a 37 hour week 6 weeks
holiday. hard work is unheard of in my department.

I hope my boss does not read this. Mind you he does less than I do. Except when organising the next works party--- A Mist up. --- .

He had 20 of us in a hotel for a party all expenses paid including the gas for the car.

He spent 10 hours standing at the bar conducting a health and saftey lecture with a pint of beer in one hand and the remote for projector in the other.

Thats a UK Senior Civil Servant for you

He will probaly take this as a compliment.